They are dropping like flies

I am having a similar problem with chicks that arrived last Thursday. This is not my first group of chicks, I normally expect to loose one, but I am up to 6 losses, and one with a wrenched neck, which I have been giving vitamin supplements to for 3 days, so I am starting to rule that out with the other losses, even though they show no signs of illness before passing. Best of luck to you.

They're up to 4 weeks old, and still in a rubbermaid tote for a brooder? I'm thinking that's the issue right there, they're overheated. Personally, I think totes are the devil if you have more than say 4 chicks, and even then past the first weeks. They're just too small, they hold the heat too much and the chicks can't escape the heat. At 4 weeks they should be spending the majority of the day at ambient temperature, only using some supplemental heating at night.

Ditto 100%. Can you tell us how many chicks you have and what size your brooder is? What exactly are you using as a heat source and what is the temp in the brooder? Do they have enough room to get completely away from the heat source? I personally really hate rubbermaid brooders, though I have seen a few people set them up with two attached with a small opening between them so the chicks can go back and forth between heated and unheated areas.

As far as treating for coccidiosis...Sulmet only treats two strains of cocci, there are at least 9, it is also very harsh on the chicks. A much better and gentler product is Corid. Coccidiosis certainly can be the problem at this age, it sure wouldn't hurt to run a course of Corid.

The advice of the other posters is all very good. I would just like to add that I too have had several hatches and we always use cardboard boxes like a couple others said. I can switch the chicks to a new one & burn the old one a couple times a week. Keeps the germs & the smell down. We have an old framed screen we put over the box-came out of windows when they were replaced. Then we put the light over that.

So Sorry that you are having such complications with your 1st go around. Hang in there. It gets easier. We all learn a lot!

GOOD NEWS! I haven't lost any more of my ladies since I scrubbed everything down with vinegar and added more ventilation. My husband was going to build me a new brooder but for now I think we will just rest and enjoy our happy girls. whew we are exhausted! I cant say enough how thankful I am to each of you for your advice and encouragement. I can tell I am going to love being a member of byc.

GOOD NEWS! I haven't lost any more of my ladies since I scrubbed everything down with vinegar and added more ventilation. My husband was going to build me a new brooder but for now I think we will just rest and enjoy our happy girls. whew we are exhausted! I cant say enough how thankful I am to each of you for your advice and encouragement. I can tell I am going to love being a member of byc.
YAY!!!
wee.gif

You could still move them to some type of cardboard box. Most local furniture, TV, and/or Hardware stores often have large boxes that you can have for the taking. Even grocery stores may have some big ones. You could connect some smaller ones to make a chicken duplex :)

Good luck and keep us posted...

Jeff

So proud for you! I hope this does not ruin your chicken experience! Down the road you'll say to yourself. "Now that doesn't seem so bad now!" On a side note, I'd still encourage you to brood in a cardboard box from this point. :) Good luck! Welcome to BYC!

ginmarie84 - Here is a picture of my girls box...pine shavings, a piece of grass, and a little sand. They have plenty of room and seem love it. And the box was free.

Jeff

ginmarie84 - Here is a picture of my girls box...pine shavings, a piece of grass, and a little sand. They have plenty of room and seem love it. And the box was free.

Jeff
Looking good!! But!!

I'd be slapping some chicken wire over that top for sure...those little fuzzy-butts will be all over the living room in short order!!
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom