They are finally Outside!!!

Seattlechick

Hatching
12 Years
Sep 23, 2007
I finally moved my two girls outside to their coop and run. The coop is now triple lined with chicken wire and I bought this wonderful ceramic heater so they are nice and warm.

The coop is small, maybe 2' by 4'. I put 4" of shaving down over the ceramic heater. I put a piece of cardboard up vertically to hold back the shaving from the small opening to the run, approx. 4 inches from the edge of the coop. I also put their food in the coop in this "no-shavings" area to keep it dry.

I am afraid to put the water in the same place because I do not want the feed to get wet. So, I put their water outside. Should I move it in and not worry?

I would think leaving the waterer outside would be fine, unless it freezes there. What kind of ceramic heater is it that you put in the coop? Is it one that is made to heat a coop?

Is the heater meant to be covered up like that? Heater and shavings often sound like fire hazard to me. I don't heat my coop and the hens all sleep outside bar that one night we got 4.5 inches of snow...

For water, I keep it outside and have those rubber dishes that when it does freeze, if it freezes, you can turn it over and pop out the ice chunk.

I bought the ceramic heater from the "shop the coop".com. I did verify that it was designed to be covered.

I will put my dogs outside dish in the run in addition to the plastic one. I bet you are right and it will freeze and crack. thanks

Back
Top Bottom