They are HATCCHIIINGGG!!!!

Wow that is a great ratio.
I have a chick with something on his rear. I had the same problem last year. I put a cream on it but it never went away. Here is the pic from a few min ago

Any help on how to fix it for the little guywould have appreciated.
looks like pasty butt; poop dried up on the feathers around the vent. The problem in chicks is that it can prevent more poop from coming out and that can kill them. I use a wet wash cloth and drip a little warm water on it to loosen it up and then wipe/pull it off. clip or pull the fuzz off around the vent to help keep it from happening again. I feed fermented feed and except for unusual cases don't have it. You can also add unpasturized apple cider vinegar, with the 'mother' to their drinking water; I think it's one or two tablespoons to a quart. You could also give a little plain organic yogurt with live cultures or some cultured buttermilk; these things all help add good bacteria to the gut and help prevent pasty butt.

In my experience chicks that have had it have had some kind of stress; they got chilled (maybe the kids kept them out of the brooder playing too long) they had a rough hatch and had to be helped out of their shell, things like that. Example I had a chick that was half unzipped for more than 12 hours when I realized it had shrink wrapped. I had to wet the membrane and tear it some. Some of the membrane and shell were stuck to the chick really bad. The next day it had pasty butt. I got the glob of dried poop off of it and about two minutes after I put it back in the brooder it had a humongous poop, even a speck of blood on it and it cried. But then it was running around eating and drinking and has been fine since.

should i go down and do that now with the water? i don't want to open the bator and shrink wrap the other eggs. :(
now or later?

should i go down and do that now with the water? i don't want to open the bator and shrink wrap the other eggs. :(
now or later?

I'm sorry, is that a chick that just hatched and you haven't even taken him out of the incubator yet? In that case it might just be some gunk left from the egg that will fall off later or it might be part of the umbilical cord that hasn't dried up and fallen off yet.

Usually pasty butt shows up after they go into the brooder and are a day or two old up to about 2 weeks.

But putting a little of the vinegar in their water when you put them in the brooder won't hurt anything.

SO NO don't open the incubator until your hatch is finished.

Back
Top Bottom