1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

They are here !!!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chicken_ladyGA, Sep 9, 2008.

1. chicken_ladyGA

chicken_ladyGA Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2008
    Chatsworth,Georgia
    My hen finally hatched the eggs . They are sooo adorable ... but what now I am wanting to build a brooder box any suggestions ? and will she lead them outside to feed and water or should i put in coop and her nest is pretty off the ground chicks couldn't get out or in alone ? so pls help

Last edited: Sep 9, 2008
  2. swampducks

swampducks Overrun With Guineas

Feb 29, 2008
    Barton City, MI
    I have no idea what to suggest as I have yet to have a broody hen and all my chicks thus far came in the mail. Hopefully, someone can help.

How high off the floor is the bottom of the nest?

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Maybe find a temporary way to block them away from the rest? You may not have the room, but.... I am not that knowledgeable, but I know our chicks didn't do well with the rest of the flock.

4. Shogun99

Shogun99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Las Cruces, NM
    I would like to think that babies should be with the mother hen unless she was broody, but a crappy mom now that they're born. If you need to put them in a brooder, go for it, but I'd give mom a chance first.

Thats just me and LOTS less trubble.[​IMG]

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I'd try to keep them in a corner of the coop where they won't get pooped on in a cage big enough to move around in and with water and feed. She'll protect them with the rest of the flock once they are three or four weeks old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by