They are Self Blue not Lavender.

Also, it is the lavender gene that causes this coloration - not the self-blue gene.
Lavender is a Gene(lav) Self blue is a phenotype(a completely blue bird) caused by many genes working together lavender is one of them

Where did you get the information concerning the etymology of the phrase Self Blue? My understanding of the term is that it is used to differentiate between blue birds that breed true & those that don't.
there are other genes that can give you a self grey/blue looking bird that breed true...

to have a self blue bird(based on Lavender or andalusian blue) you first need to have a self black bird so the dilution gene(lavender or andalusian blue) can do its job... self black birds can be based on any e allele(from extended black to wild type) but most are based on Extended black(E) because its easier to have a self black bird on this e allele, BUT.. you could also have a self black bird based on wildtype....

Also, it is the lavender gene that causes this coloration - not the self-blue gene. You can see where people may call it lavender on an informal basis, as many may know it by that name instead of the (accurate) name self-blue.
All "Lavender" birds are Self Blue BUT not all Self Blue birds carry the Lavender Gene.

Chris

That does seem to be the case in USA but not everywhere else. For instance, in UK breeds such as Araucanas, Orpingtons etc. are quite happy using "Lavender" without anyone quibbling about the name. In Leghorns Lavenders are called "blue" (not self blue, just blue). Some breeds have a "self blue" variety, which are an even shade of blue without lacing, whether with the lav gene or blue gene. Hobby names have a tendency to be confusing; dictating what varieties are, or are not, allowed to be called probably will not change it. :)

I have a question...
What would one label the color of their chickens that obviously carry a lavender gene but are not "self-blue"?
I have a hobby name for it and I call it "porcelain" and I have a good ol' time explaining to people
why I would be disqualified and laughed off the showroom floor if I entered my birds to be shown in the "self-blue"
category a poultry show - people have emailed me telling me "I have a couple of birds in my backyard that look
like yours and they're self-blue."

WHAT!!!!!???? Just when I think im beginning to understand.

X 2!!
If that's the case then lavender and self blue definitely need to be considered two different things.
I always liked the term lavender over self blue since blue and self blue a two completely different things, it helps keep down the confusion of genetics.

Back
Top Bottom