They ATE styrofoam insulation!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by viktoriacl, Sep 20, 2010.

1. viktoriacl

viktoriacl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    My 4 mo old EEs ate the styrofoam insulation my DD put on the ceiling of the coop! DUH!!!! I told him not to put it their until he had the plywood to cover it but he wanted to cover some nails that came throuh when he did the roof! They all seem fine but they ate a huge hole in it and pecked about a 1 foot square area of it! Will it get stuck in their digestive tracts? Will it harm them in any other way? Should I feed them something to try to help move it along? GRRRRR

2. Amigatec

Amigatec Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2010
    Haskell Oklahoma
    My chickens have been eating it for some time and it hasn't hurt them.

3. Shaun

Shaun Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    SW Central Michigan
    Mine have eaten styrofoam several times over the past 25 years. Never seems to hurt them a bit, but can't say I recommend it as a regular diet. They seem drawn to it like kids to candy. [​IMG]

4. oliviad51

oliviad51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    North Carolina
    they will probably be okay. It depends on exactly how much they ate. I know I had some styrofoam in my guinea's coop in the winter when it was cold, not knowing they were going to eat it. They turned out being okay.

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

It'll probably just pass right through, but I'd certainly remove it until the plywood is in there...

6. GAchick

GAchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    Pembroke GA
    I've actually heard of people putting it in their coops on purpose, to cut down on the chicks pecking one another....

7. jeb251

jeb251 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    they love it, I sometimes give mine a Styrofoam cup as a treat

8. viktoriacl

Jun 23, 2010
    Oh Good! Thanks everyone! It is out of the coop. If it was light out I'd take a picture of it. They seem fine. I just thought I should run it by all of you. I will be on the look out for blue styrofoam poop!

9. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

The important thing to remember that styrofoam is a treat and shouldn't be more than 10% of their diet.

Imp [​IMG]

There should be a way to make money off all the weird things chickens eat.

10. viktoriacl

Jun 23, 2010
    Too funny! It probably was 10% that couple of nights! They made quite the hole in it! Someone should invent a chicken friendly styrofoam...full of nutrients and vitamins!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by