They did it again

ridgefire

Songster
12 Years
Jan 8, 2008
Northern Michigan
Dang little escape artists. I tell ya its embarrassing to be outsmarted by chickens. First they would fly over the fence to get out of the run. So I got deer netting and covered the entire run. That worked for a week, then they figured out how to open the gate. I never used to latch it just pulled it shut and it would stay shut, well they figured that one out. So I went and put a latch on the gate. A couple weeks have gone by now. I came home today was greeted by all 17 of the little turds playing in the wife's flower beds. Obviously someone forgot to latch the gate. Went out to the pen and nope, the gate is shut and latched. Hmmmmmm I knew they couldn't dig under, how were they getting out.

I herded them all back in the pen. Went around the corner where I could sit and watch them.

The deer netting I bought wasn't wide enough to cover the run in one piece so I had to zip tie it together. Well over time the seam has stretched there is a hole in the netting about foot long. I watched them one by one fly up through the hole and run across the top of the netting and jump down onto the lawn.
he.gif
he.gif
barnie.gif

When my chickens do stuff like that to me I start calling them dirty names. You know, stuff like KFC! Dumplings! Hot wings! Doesn't faze them, but it makes me feel better.
tongue.png

Quote:
as long as they aren't wearing those weird hats and knitting, it's going to be okay.

Mr. Tweedy: Now let that be a lesson for the lot of ya - no chicken escapes from Tweedy's farm!

ETA quote

Last edited:
Quote:
It just might be true. Today I went to enter the coop to let them outside for the day. One of them dug a hole in the shavings right in front of the door. I almost broke my ankle stepping it. I think they were hoping I would fall so they could make a run for it.

Want to know something funny? After reading your post I thought ," You know I have a hen Jenny that is always looking for a way out." I currently have them in an enclosed area free ranging with a bird net over it. However, one end has a small gap. So, what do I find when I go to check on them? Two are out in the garden munching on my red tomatoes and eating my winter onions!!
ep.gif

Thankfully they are very tame and stopped what they were doing we they saw me. They each waited until I picked them up and put them back in the pen.....But I swear I see the cogs turning in there little chicken brains.

Back
Top Bottom