They don’t like me 🙁

That's a good idea
That's a good idea
Thank you! I’ll have to try that. These girls are growing much faster than my others did. They’re already flying out and perching on the edge of the brooder.
That's a good idea
That's a good idea
That's a good idea
Thank you! I’ll have to try that. These girls are growing much faster than my others did. They’re already flying out and perching on the edge of the brooder.

First of all, I want to say don't give up on your attempts to befriend them. When my now 7-year-old Cuckoo Marans were 3 weeks old, they reacted exactly like your pullets currently do. They were literally "cuckoo", their fears were so extreme that I separated them from the golden sexlinks that were also in the brooder, because I didn't want the extreme fear reactions to transfer to the friendly sexlinks. However, soon after those Marans reached POL, they settled down immensely. I still have them, and they are among my most docile and friendliest hens.

I suspected my Marans chicks may have had a bad/fearful experience before I ever got them, and that may have happened with your chicks too. @fluffycrow is right that leaning over or reaching into a brooder from above causes an instinctual fear reaction, same as when a bird of prey does a flyover. Keep working with them, and they will learn you are their friend and protector. Don't lean over their brooder while standing, and don't ever reach quickly into their brooder. Start with slowly placing your hand holding a treat into the bottom of the brooder, away from the chicks. Leave your hand there until the chicks relax, then leave the treat and remove your hand. The next time, place your hand with treat into the brooder a little closer to the chicks. Again, leave your hand there until the chicks relax, then leave the treat and slowly remove your hand. Continue these slow steps by moving placing your hand with treat into the brooder until the chicks show no fear at all. These steps could take a few days or a few weeks; let your chicks be your guide. Don't grab the chicks to pick them up until they remain completely relaxed every time you place your hand in the brooder. When you reach the point they will take treats from the palm of your hand, you can gently pick them up. I understand you want your little chicks to be trusting NOW, but they need to learn to trust you at their own pace. This is no different than working with animals of other species. Some are completely trusting from the getgo, while others need more time. I 100% believe your chicks will turn out to be awesome pets that trust and adore you completely, the same as you adore them. Your patience and time are the keys.
I replied to you earlier but I’m not seeing it. Thank you for your advice. I will definitely take all of this into consideration for sure. Thank you! 😊

I purposefully got pet like breeds. 3 orpingtons and 2 Easter Eggers. All are super skittish. I’ve started being able to hold my hand very still and have them climb on it, but if I even twitch, they all scatter to the far side of the brooder. I’m hoping over time, they warm up.

In the beginning, I would grab them to check for pasty butt and such, I’ve stopped doing that.

They’re about 10 days old.
Thank you! It’s a crappy feeling to see them so scared of you. Hope your babies come around too. 😊

I have hatchery Buff Orpingtons. My original ones are about 15 months old. As chicks they were scared of everything including me. As adults, some of them are friendly and others just ignore me. They all come to me when I am carrying the treat bucket. They have calmed down quite a bit, but they aren't really pets. They will let me do what I need with them as far as checking for issues. I did have a hen with newly hatched chick peck me pretty hard last week. Drew blood, but that was to protect her chick. Someone stated that hatchery Orpingtons never went broody, but most all my girls try. Each chicken is different and I am finding that there are no absolutes with chickens, or anything else. 🤣

Back
Top Bottom