They don't like BOSS

Mine go nuts when they know I have BOSS. When I'm out in the yard, I carry a pocketful of seeds so I can give some to the smaller girls. However, when any of the bigger girls figure out what I'm handing out, they all come running. My little red sex-linked girl, Bette, will even leap into the air to get the seed!
droolin.gif
ya.gif

my chickens love BOSS!

you can sprout the BOSS and see if they like it better that way, there are alot of threads you can search about that.

you can also trick them into eating it by mixing it with yogurt, or throwing some on top of their other treats. maybe they just need to try it a few times before they realize it's something good
smile.png

As soon as my chicks can scratch in the bedding like their mama, I throw some BOSS in the brooder to them. Mama shows them that it's good food and they get to actually "find" some little black "bugs" at an early age. Fun to watch!

I too bought a big bag of BOSS. Left some of it in the yard for the hens in a pie pan. They kinda pecked at it but mostly ignored it. I figured putting it in the pan would get them to eat it because that's where I set out my treats for them. The next day I set out the pan again. 5 hours later much of it was gone....but I have no idea if wild birds, squirrels, my dog or other critters found it too!
idunno.gif
I wasn't paying much attention that day--baking like a maniac.

So, I am going to put more out tomorrow and watch them....

Chicken.Lytle :

My birds will do anything for BOSS . I could probably train them to repair diesel engines with enough Black Oil Sunflower Seeds.

yuckyuck.gif

And all you people are having this kind of success with seeds still in the hull? I tried to buy some the other day that were already hulled for them but didn't find any; guess I'll have to hunt further. Found some hulled seed for songbirds but there were NO sunflower seeds in there.​

Mine wouldn't eat them whole at first either. I tried putting some in a food processor VERY briefly and then throwing them out there - that didn't really work either. Then I cut some whole sunflower heads with seeds from the garden and gave those to the chickens - they really loved pecking the seeds out of there, and now they come running when they know I have sunflower seeds for them... I can't explain why this is, just that it happened this way. It may be that they will eventually figure it out, but maybe you could offer them one of those wild bird lard cakes with sunflower seeds in it (my chicken LOVE those, too) and that will teach them that they're delicious.

My older girls (Black Austrolops) had always turned there noses up at Boss until we added the new girls (Rhode Island Reds.)

The little girls are always into everything and always ready to eat anything! They are so-o cute- but they are the biggest trouble makers- they drive the older girls crazy until they've had enough and then they let the little girls have it!
smack.gif

The little girls have taught the older girls about eating BOSS and also the blue flowers from the Plumbago bushes all around the yard- and the big girls taught the little girls how to hunt lizards. Now they all go crazy when they hear us shake the plastic jug the seeds are in.

You can buy BOSS at Publix so you don't have to get such a huge bag.

I have had BOSS coming up all around the runs where I have thrown it in and it has fallen on the outside. Lately I have been pulling the sprouts up and giving those to the chickens.....they love it!!

But mine eat BOSS and like it. Scratch is a little different....they love something about it but leave the stuff they don't like.

This morning I cooked a big pot of rice.....mixed in scratch and BOSS and poured a little bacon grease in that mixture and stirred it up. When I got out to the coop and the can of feed I mixed that in too and fed to all the chickens.....I am their very best friend now!! Thought as cold as it was they deserved a little extra special something to warm them up!

Still getting at least 8 eggs a day from my crew of 11 egg layers.....also, I believe the fact that my chickens are so healthy looking is from the extra I give them. They still eat plenty of feed and they don't free range except occasionally when we let them into the garden. So, I believe they need the extra they get.

Back
Top Bottom