They don't like to free range! What's up with that?

Jenn's_ chicks

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 20, 2011
My teen chicks are out growing my mini hut and run so I have been opening the door so they can go out and free range. They come out for 5 minutes and then stay inside. Why!

They stand there every morning looking at me in there chick head bobble like they want to come out and so I let the and then they go back in. Crazy! I don't get it.

They are young and need to discover. Give them some space and let them figure it out. Mine all did the same thing. Now when I open up the coop they RUN out as fast as possible!
wee.gif

Oh, they always do that when they're first presented with the big, wild world. Sometimes you luck out and there's one daredevil in the bunch who shames the rest into crawling out of their haven.

I haven't let mine out of their coop yet but I'm afraid they won't go back in. I have a small area that I have fenced for them outside of their coop area but will keep them out of my swimming pool! Mine are true backyard chickens and I'm hoping they'll be happy with what I can give them! I am envious of all of you with lots of acreage!

Ginnyj they don't go very far. They chicken!
lol.png
but seem like all these wonderful people are telling me that my shy chickens won't be that way forever. I live on .98 of an acre and since I am waiting for my husband to finish up the new hut and run I thought I would let them run. Oh well, I guess I can't complain . Thank you all for making me feel normal
big_smile.png

One thing more. I also put my outside cat in my dog kennel so she won't help herself to my cute chicks.

I had some young ones do that so I opened the pop door, shoo'd them out, and then shut the popdoor so they had no choice but to go out. Now they roam all over the yard.

Back
Top Bottom