They Don't Want to Be Eaten!

jnntefend

Songster
6 Years
Mar 8, 2013
East Texas
So, I am introducing my six year old to the chicks, and explaining that some will be for laying eggs and some will be for meat.

"So, are you going to be OK with eating these chickens when they grow up?" (just testing the waters here)
"Ummmm... I don't think so..."
"OK. Why not?"
"Well, I don't think they want to be eaten." (he looks at me like I am stupid)

Blink blink....

OK, this is going to take some time, I can tell

*Added Later* I said this a little further down, when the idea hit me, but does anyone else have a cute story about their kids interacting with their chickens or with the food chain? I think it would make a fun thread.

Last edited:
So, I am introducing my six year old to the chicks, and explaining that some will be for laying eggs and some will be for meat.

"So, are you going to be OK with eating these chickens when they grow up?" (just testing the waters here)
"Ummmm... I don't think so..."
"OK. Why not?"
"Well, I don't think they want to be eaten." (he looks at me like I am stupid)

Blink blink....

OK, this is going to take some time, I can tell
LOL, how cute! He does have a point, but...

I agree with ure 6 year old! Your 6 year old is really smart. THEY DONT WANT TO BE EATEN! Sorry to say it but he is kinda right
hmm.png

I am sure I am not helping the issue but YOUR 6 YEAR OLD IS RIGHT!
GO VEGAN!
If I did that, I wouldn't be able to afford to keep any chickens or other livestock. Extending the rules necessary to exist in our society to your animals is a little like communism. You know, from each acccording to his ability and to each according to his need. Both ideas sound great. They just don't work. In nature, some critters (most actually) end up as somebody's dinner. At my place it is the same. I feed and care for my chickens and livestock, and, of necessity, some of them end up on my dinner table. That pays for the feed and housing for the rest of them. What would you suggest the OP do with her meat chickens? Make compost out of them? That might help her to raise more and bigger vegetables, but it wouldn't help either her budget or the chickens at all.

If you are a vegan, that's one thing. If you and your family eat meat, you should definitely go through the whole process with him including cleaning, preparing and eating. He'll be way ahead for it when he runs into other kids who don't know where their food comes from. I'm positive that if a child learns things like that at a young age, then other life decisions are easier to make. If you raise another kid who is ignorant of the source of his animal nourishment, then you'll be like so many others.

Good luck.

Pete

Back
Top Bottom