They got into the pig feed...

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by EggsForIHOP, Jun 10, 2010.

1. EggsForIHOP

EggsForIHOP Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    TEXAS
    Is this okay? Came home tonight - DH was out there in the yard watching the chickens free range (over protective? not us!) I had a bag of pig food in the back of my truck - and they got into it! He turned his back for a second and 20 chickens tore that bag up! A lot is left, they of course didn't eat all of it - but still - is this okay for them to have? if it helps, it's the MG porky pellets...someone let me know - I think it should be okay, but still...what a mess they made too! And with a yard full of grass and a feeder full of chicken food no less!

2. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    I know someone that feeds pig feed exclusively to chickens, so I am guessing there won't be a major problem with your chickens.

3. saxet

saxet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2010
    TX
    My ducks get it all the time. Fat, old, and healthy ducks. I bet you'll be just fine. And as you already figured out: they LOVE it. (so expect more organized pigfood raids)

4. Debob

Debob Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2010
    Not going to hurt them. They are only going to get full and fat.

5. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    I must say your chickens sound like our horses! LOL [​IMG]
    If we leave a bag of feed in the back of the pick up they rip it open and eat it!!!

6. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    They should be alright as long as they don't do it all the time.
    Most if not all the hog feed I have seen has way more salt than a chicken needs.

Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by