They Hatched!!!!

Sgsf

Songster
9 Years
May 4, 2010
The eggs from Shadow, our Black Cochin Bantam, have finally hatched! I don't know how many, but I did check on the eggs. To top if all off, one of our Easter Eggers that JUST started laying layed a very big egg. It can't even fit in the carton.

QUESTION: We have chicken feed for the bigger chickens. Do we need a certain type of feed for the hatchlings? And how should their water be set-up? I don't want them to drown.

wee.gif
clap.gif
ya.gif
woot.gif
thumbsup.gif

Congratulations, it must be so exciting to have the eggs hatch!!!
jumpy.gif
Also, I envy that double yolker? you got from your EE, how old is she? I'm still waiting on eggs from my EE, well from all my girls.

Sorry, I don't know about the feed, but put pebbles/marbles in any of your waterers to keep the chicks safe.

Good luck!!!

Someones running up to the store to get chick starter feed. I just hope that I can get a water bowl at their small enough but to were they don't tip it over and get water on them.

A shallow bowl with marbles in the bottom will do the trick to start your chicks on water. Make sure you add the marbles, chicks have a thing about water and will drown themselves. Plus the marbles add enough weight they won't tip it. There are some nice cheap plastic waters at the feed store if you are going anyway. The water tray is shallow but still add your layer of marbles until they are around a week old. The feed store usually carries some vitamins you can add to the water that are great. I hatch 90-100 chicks at a time and can really tell the difference. They are much more robust!

Good Luck!
jumpy.gif

At first, even the lid from a pasta sauce jar, with marbles added, will work. The chicks will drink between the marbles. You do have to check it often, but it can get you through until you have the chance to get something bigger for them.

Back
Top Bottom