They have hatched - Novice now in a panic

jayjay

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 11, 2012
Essex, UK
Its happened 2nd attempt and late yesterday my first 3 Call ducks hatched. I was not quite ready and had not taken the bath out. When i discovered them this morning they were all in the little tub but 1 had obviously drowned. I could kick myself. Hatch day is still 2 days away. Am not hoping the others will follow. They are so cute. Have taken the bath out and put in shallow trays and watched them paddle. I took the boys out the other week and have left the other female in the pen however, i saw her peck at one of the ducklings today so a little worried. Did not want to leave them. Have been given duckling food by our local supplier but i must admit i am not exactly sure what it is. Can anyone suggest the best duckling food and how long they need to be on it.

I am so happy and hope that the others hatch to. There are another 5 eggs still in the nest. If anyonw has any duckling advice to give i would be most grateful.

All i can recomend is chick crumbs. I'm a novice too so just give them shallow water, love and food and they should be okay. Oh, and remove the other duck is she's being violent. She could easily kill them and good luck, just try your best and i'm sure it'll pay off! Would love to see pics??

I'm also new to this, but look for waterfowl or gamebird starter feed at a farm supply store. The duckling feed you were given is probably something along those lines. If you end up using chick starter (for chickens) make sure it's UNMEDICATED. Medicated chick feed is poisonous for ducklings. Also, if you use chick feed, you'll have to add niacin to the ducklings' diet. I believe, but am not certain, that you can add one 500 mg capsule of niacin to a gallon of water. Then just fill their waterer from the gallon. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:
Purina Flock Raiser works well too & has sufficient niacin.

Nsampsel (or anyone else), I actually have a question about the feed I just bought. I got MannaPro's gamebird/showbird starter crumbles from TSC. Does that have enough niacin? I also bought capsules so I can add them to the water, but I haven't done so yet because I'm not sure if the food has enough.

Nsampsel (or anyone else), I actually have a question about the feed I just bought. I got MannaPro's gamebird/showbird starter crumbles from TSC. Does that have enough niacin? I also bought capsules so I can add them to the water, but I haven't done so yet because I'm not sure if the food has enough.
Check the back of your bag. It should list the types of birds it's formulated for & what ages to use it at. If it specifically lists your type of bird & it's current age then it should be a complete feed for them.

I am now a little worried. The bag has no name on it was donated by the supplier, some taken out and put in another bag as a starter for me. She would not have given me anything to harm them, she knew they are ducks. Oh no i hope it is for ducks and not chickens. I am really worried now that it may poison them. Shop shut now and cannot find out. They have been tucking in all day.

It's not gonna hurt them to feed them chick food for a couple days if that's what you got. I would just ask her once you get ahold of her & make sure it was formulated for ducks. If not, add a bit of niacin to the water or brewers yeast to their food.

Thanks for all the advice, apparently food is ok. Unfortunately when i went in today one of the chicks was dead. Not sure what happened i think its neck was broken. I have a feeling it was tossed out of the way. Only mum and one chick left and hoping i can keep it alive. Mum is still sitting on the nest although hatch day was a few days ago. I would have thought she would throw them out because they seem to know if they are dead or not going to hatch but she has not. Should i take them away so she can just concentrate on looking after the one she has? Really do not know what to do.

A week on and the one duckling is doing well. I am trying to find out how long they are kept on baby food and what age call ducks are fully grown. Nothing like forward planning. Sad that only 3 hatched and am now left with just one but perhaps we can have another go when i have got to grips with this little one. Any suggestions on food and growth would be great.

Back
Top Bottom