They keep me guessing - pullet or cockerel?

tdottino

Chirping
Apr 19, 2017
I have 4 chicks I hatched almost 9 weeks ago. The eggs were a random mix from a friend's farm - I have no idea what breeds they are. Pikachu was the sweetest and cuddliest chick but has turned into a big strapping male already with a large comb & wattles already. Lemoncello (the small white one) seems to be female. Oreo (the black and white one) began trying to crow at 3 weeks(!) so I'm assuming is a male, though I haven't heard him(?) lately. The lasts one, Togepi is the teaser. (S)He is almost as big as Pikachu and seems to be the most aggressive of the group. (S)He feathered VERY early, and we thought from the beginning that it was a male, but we are not so sure anymore. Well, I think it probably is, but we are hoping it's a female, so we may be avoiding seeing the obvious signs. Any ideas to help me determine which get rehomed next week with Pikachu would be very helpful (no roos allowed)!

Lemoncello.JPG Togepi 4.JPG Togepi.JPG Oreo 3.JPG Pikachu.JPG Togepi & Pikachu.JPG Oreo 4.JPG

I have 4 chicks I hatched almost 9 weeks ago. The eggs were a random mix from a friend's farm - I have no idea what breeds they are. Pikachu was the sweetest and cuddliest chick but has turned into a big strapping male already with a large comb & wattles already. Lemoncello (the small white one) seems to be female. Oreo (the black and white one) began trying to crow at 3 weeks(!) so I'm assuming is a male, though I haven't heard him(?) lately. The lasts one, Togepi is the teaser. (S)He is almost as big as Pikachu and seems to be the most aggressive of the group. (S)He feathered VERY early, and we thought from the beginning that it was a male, but we are not so sure anymore. Well, I think it probably is, but we are hoping it's a female, so we may be avoiding seeing the obvious signs. Any ideas to help me determine which get rehomed next week with Pikachu would be very helpful (no roos allowed)!

View attachment 2655737View attachment 2655738View attachment 2655739View attachment 2655740View attachment 2655741View attachment 2655742View attachment 2655743
Looks like the white one is your only female. :( Not positive as I'm not an expert. Best of luck from other replies haha!

Thanks for the feedback. I was afraid of that. I guess the little female will be lonely until I put her in with my other girls.

View attachment 2655737View attachment 2655738View attachment 2655739View attachment 2655740View attachment 2655741View attachment 2655742View attachment 2655743
I only think the one is a roo. Plymouth Rockis 3rd to last pic

The face on this one looks possibly female also...but can't see the body. Is it the same chick as the red one whose head does not appear in the other pics? If so, the body looks male, so I'm confused. Can you get better pics of this one?

Attachments

• 20210516_171232.jpg
    20210516_171232.jpg
    380.3 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom