They Stoped Laying, Y??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by newchickens2009, Oct 2, 2009.

1. newchickens2009

newchickens2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2009
    BAHAMAS
    OK MY DOMONIQUE N EE HEN HAVEN'T LAYED AN EGG 4 OVER 2 WEKS NOW. I HAVEN'T CHANGED ANYTHING, THEY JUST STOPED! IS THIS NORMAL OR SHOULD I B CONCERNED? [​IMG]

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

It's more than likely the time of year. A lot of hens molt this time of year, plus the shorter days make them less likely to lay.

3. blueseal

blueseal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    mine are doing the same thing i was getting a dozen eggs a day and the past 2 weeks im only getting half a dozen a day i think the shorter days has them thrown off . i put a light with a timer comes on 4am and off at sunrise its been a week and still not back to laying capacity.[​IMG][​IMG]

4. newchickens2009

May 18, 2009
    BAHAMAS
    Thank You Both For The Respond. I Didn't Realize That They Would Be Thrown Off So Much By The Time Since It Changes Just A Little Everyday. But The Light On A Timer Sounds Like A Great Idea. Let Me Know If U Think It Gets Them Back On Track Please?

5. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine have finished a month-long slow moult and are beautifully feathered for winter. I adjusted my timer yesterday to come on from 5 am - 8 am, and the birds were singing and laying when I came down today. Just be sure they've had time to get some feathercoat, and give them things like suet or flock block to keep them warm and to add a gloss to their new plumage!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. 2chickenrich

2chickenrich Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2008
    Perry, Georgia
    Well ours were laying 16 to 17 a day and last week went to 11 or 12 a day all week last sunday found a five foot rat snake now with that gone we are back to normal

7. newchickens2009

May 18, 2009
    BAHAMAS
    Only My Ee Is Loosing Her Feathers. The Domonique Hen And Roo Haven't Lost Any. How Long Does The Moult Usually Last?

8. farmin'chick

farmin'chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Rocky Mount VA
    I just noticed you're from Bahamas/WPB FL....The weather can affect their laying sometimes, too. Make sure they're warm/cool enough.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by