They stopped laying in the nest box?

dreamwallaby

Songster
9 Years
Apr 18, 2010
Camden County NJ
So my EEs just started laying about 2 weeks ago. It started with one hen laying every other day in the nest box (which is actually divided into 3 boxes for my 4 hens). After 5 days, another hen started laying but she started laying them in the bottom of the coop instead of in the nest boxes. She was also laying every other day. Now I have possibly a 3rd hen laying and now they are ALL laying in the bottom of the coop instead of in the nest boxes
sad.png
I thought maybe they decided they liked the shavings better than the straw, so I put shavings in one of the boxes and left the other 2 as straw, but no luck. They are just digging nests in the shavings in bottom of coop which is a real PITA for collecting. How do I stop this??

Put a few golf-balls or some of the eggs in a nest box. They like to all lay in the same spot so they can compare eggs. At least, I think that is why they do it. Eventually they'll get the right idea.

Try putting 1 or 2 golf balls (or something els that looks like an egg) in one nesting box. They should then start laying there.

Moderators:
Delete this post, I did not mean to post twice.

Last edited:
I have used both shavings and straw in nesting boxes. The straw kept the eggs a little cleaner, but they seemed to eat it and play with it more. I have shavings in there now and they do fine with that too. I do find eggs on the floor maybe once a week still. My girls are still new layers though, they have only been laying since late October or early November. I also have golf balls in my coop, but they don't seem to do much, they haven't laid in the box that has the balls EVER!

Quote:
How high off the ground are your nestboxes? They like to be down low. Try the golf balls, if that doesn't work you will need to put up some wire to keep them from going down where they are. Mine liked a dark corner or a dark kitty litterbox

Quote:
If they are laying under neath these boxes, close off the space below - you might also try putting a top on the box, something sloped in a way they can't perch on top. I have closed in boxes and only had a few minor issues of hens that seemed to want to nest on the floor. I pulled the bedding (straw) away from that area and after a few attempts to pull some back and lay there they finally got the hint and used the boxes. I have tried shavings, straw and grass clippings. The grass clippings seemed to work out the best for me.

I have an over-under two seater. It started as just the one top nest box, but access was limited to a walkway that got blocked by a snippy layer. So I added a second nest box at floor level . Oh the chickeny joy!

Once they saw the bait egg in the lower box, it became their new favorite place to lay eggs. The top box is now used as a sort of waiting room for hens that are not sure they can hold it until the lower occupant finishes. They sometimes share, but there are mysterious complicated rules for who can and cannot lay at the same time.

Back
Top Bottom