They won't stop barking! Advice please?

Quote:
I slept with a 90 pound boxer in my bed. He was hardly a frou frou dog. I just think dogs should be part of the family and not treated like livestock. Just my personal opinon. Too bad we can't ask the dogs what they would prefer.

My pit bull would be heartbroken if I locked her up in the house all the time. She LOVES being outside! I do ask her if she would like to go outside and she goes nuts. She is still part of the family, but is not a house dog 100% of the time. It's kind of judgemental to imply that the OPs dogs are being neglected because they are kept outside.

my dogs are outside 24/7 never inside anymore all dogs are happier outside so some dogs can be left outside and plus dogs werent naturally born in a house they all come from the wild even we come from the wild except we have the advantage lol

Can we stay on topic please? I apreciate all the input but everyone has different views as to if dogs should be indoor or outdoor pets. Personally I think certain breeds and individual dogs are happier indoors or out and my dogs are outside but get plenty of interaction wih the family every day. It's not possible for everyone to keep there dogs inside as in my situation.

Quote:
Why would you crate them in the house? I work with a rescue that won't adopt a dog out to someone who intends to crate it at night or leave it outside.

The OPs dogs have been living outside. If a dog has always lived outdoors and isn't used to living in a house, crating will keep it from going to the bathroom and chewing things in the house while you're sleeping, just like with puppies. Dogs from a rescue that have been living in a foster home usually already know these things, so they don't need a crate.

Untrained dogs can benefit from crating when they aren't being watched. I crate puppies or older untrained dogs that are new, whenever I can't watch them. This might be when I'm asleep, in the shower or distracted by cooking dinner.

If the OPs dogs used to live in the house and are already house trained, including knowing that they shouldn't chew on anything in the house that isn't theirs, then they wouldn't need to be crated.

Yep..i LOVE crate traininig... love it! My pup has two crates... one in the living room, and one in our room, for night time.
Crate training IS the best way to train a dog..IMO.

To the OP..i would also crate them inside the house at night.... look on CL, they sell those big black wire crates on there cheap ALL the time.

Good luck!

@ Matthew..haha, actually, our dog is the one who deserves credit for its invention. She is a heeler through and through, so she sticks to us like glue both on the trail, and at dog parks. She doesn't go running around on her own, even off leash...and there is no way I can run as long as she needs to be running. The only way we could really get her moving was to use her sticky-glue trait to our advantage. XD. I'd like to try carting someday, that's another fun one (not cart pulling for weight, but the light carts for speed). Have fun with your dog!

I'm lazy and didn't read the entire thread
wink.png
Milk jugs that are shredded=large vet bills. Just don't do it. Get them Kongs, huge ones and stuff them with peanut butter, it'll keep them busy for hours. A tired dog is a quiet and well-behaved dog. Walk, walk, walk. Free run isn't always the way dogs get their excersize, they need to be walked and intereact with you. Good luck!

Quote:
Wow! This seems like the solution we have been looking for for over a year. I will definately try this because they love being able to play with each other during the day when I'm not out there. I don't quite get how the collar can still bend with the pipe so if you could post a picture that would be great.
To everyone else thank you for the suggestions, I am going to try them out and see what works best. Last night they started up so I took one and put her in a crate away from the kennel. She was good for 30 minutes till she started yapping and then the other dog would bark back.
roll.png
so I put them back together and gave them a couple milk jugs and toys to keep them busy. Then I remembered what someone said about them suposed to be sleeping not playing at night and I noticed the barking was them playing more than at anything. We have a street light thing (but not by the street) that shines almost strait into the kennel and to top it off there is a full moon so it is pretty bright in there. I think they were just playing because it is so bright so I rigged up some towels and stuff along one side where the light was coming from and it made it alot darker for them. Hardly any barking after that! So today I am going to get a tarp or shade cloth or something to rig permanently there.
So hopefully with that and giving them more play time and some of yalls other suggestions barking at night will be a thing of the past.

My collar description was pretty vague! Sorry.

Hopefully these pics will be self-explanatory. One of our pitties (Murphy) destroyed $400 worth of collars before I made the collar protectors out of junk PVC I had.

Best of luck!!

db

86980_img_0561.jpg

86980_img_0562.jpg

86980_img_0563.jpg

I would expect my dogs to bark if they were confined to a kennel or tied up, as this is frustrating to them. The wireless electric fencing has been the best thing since sliced bread for my active Lab mix dogs and they more or less exercise themselves by playing, exploring, patroling the grounds all night and day. Even then, the Lab/GP mix girl would occasionally have nights when she would bark more frequently and not as an alarm. Times like those are when it is handy to have dogs trained to understand when you are displeased and are eager to obey you when you tell them, "Shut up and go to your house!".

And I wouldn't give two shakes for a dog that stays in the house all the time...that is just a warm-blooded couch pillow and not good for much except eating and eliminating waste.
wink.png
Real dogs have a job to do outside and they LOVE to do it....mine wouldn't even think of snuggling safely in the house at night.
tongue.png

Everyone in my family has a job. I would no more allow my dogs to lounge around inside doing nothing than I would my kids. Even though my dogs ARE beloved family members, that does not mean they get a free ride. Their job is to watch out for things. They do it quite well.

Back
Top Bottom