1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

they won't use perch

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chickyluv, Jan 2, 2008.

1. chickyluv

chickyluv New Egg

Dec 12, 2007
    australia
    ok i cannot get my 10 week old chickens to use the perch inside, they are free range and are quite happy to perch on the back of the seat in the garden but when they go in at night time they all cuddly together in a corner,we are in the middle of summer here by the way, i have done all that i am supposed to do at least i think i have,can someone please tell me if i am doing something wrong here..thanks.[​IMG][​IMG]

2. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Isn't it maddening......I put up several perches inside my coop............only one gets used.the others huddle like yours........they choose that....so I let it be..... makes NO sense uh?:|

3. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    You're not doing anything wrong. [​IMG]

Ours did the same thing at that age. Eventually, one of them began using the roosts and the rest followed. [​IMG]

Dawn

4. chickyluv

chickyluv New Egg

Dec 12, 2007
    australia
    thanks for the help here..you got a wonderful site at least now i know not to worry, these chickens i have are all my babies along with my three little dogs and they all get along well together with the chickens....as soon as i know how i will post a picture in the appropiate section for you all to see them..

5. tazcat70

tazcat70 I must be crazy!

Quote:This happened with mine too. In fact they are 14 weeks and it is only in the last couple weeks that they even looked at the perch. I think I still have one that lays on the floor of the coop.

Tonya

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Some are just that way. All my standards use a perch... my silkie girls.. sleep UNDER the roost! YUCK! :eek:

7. edster951

edster951 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine are 10 weeks old.

Last week they were like this

[​IMG]

and this week they are like this.....

[​IMG]

Something just clicked.

8. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

Gidday Aussie chickyluv!!
    My silkies dont like roosting at night but they do during the day, they are weird, funny little creatures.
    I dont suppose yours are silkies? or Yours are just too young to roost , but give them time and they will if they Arent silkies!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by