They're a year apart, when can they move in? Is this a bad idea?

MattalynsBarn

Songster
9 Years
Jun 11, 2010
Connecticut
So here's the deal:
I have a flock of nine, 8 hens and 1 roo, that will be 1 year old on 6/21. A family friend did the highschool egg hatching project so we have 6 chicks hatched on 5/17. 4 are roos, and they're going to another friend who has the space, but we are keeping the two hens. I've read on how to introduce them, but I just don't know when? We have EE's and Speckled Sussex's but the chicks are Legohrns, so they will never be the same size, is that a bad idea? They aren't free range, they're in a dog pen that is a little over 20x20 (22x22?), so is this a bad idea in general?

Thanks so much!!
Matty

Is there a way you can make another pen for the Leghorns near the ones your older birds are in? That would let them get used to each other. It would be safest to wait til the Leghorns are close to full size, around point of lay -- they will get a bit bigger but that's pretty close, at least in height. If they are typical Leghorns they will be pushy enough to be able to hold their own.

Really, you never know how introductions are going to go until you try.

The end of September would be the earliest that I would added them to my existing flock. Any time there is a great disparity in size you are asking for trouble.

We have a rabbit cage in the pen (up off the ground) that they are going to live in until they out grow that and when they do we'll make a temporary cage. I assumed this is how it would be, but it's always good to check. Thanks for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom