they're all dead, all 11

Quote:

See i wont cull or stew anything that i have had any hand in raising. Just can't do it. If one is ill or injured it's different, but I wont do it just to do it. I'd rather send them off down the road and let their new keepers decide what to do with them...but the person deciding wont be me!

I just sent one of my cockerels home with my friend last night...he kept picking on my son's cochin and pulled some of his back feathers out. Well....she took that evil eyed booger and this morning, just a bit ago i went out and unscrewed the hatch door >yes i coralled them back in last night and screwed them in< ...first thing that last white cockerel did was pack at that little cochin!! So he must go as well!! I'll have my friend take him today as well. I wont have mean birdies, i dont have mean children or mean dogs and i wont have mean birdies LOL

Heather,
I just want to put my 25 cents into the post LOL! SORRY ABOUT YOUR LOSS!!!
hit.gif
I had the same thing happen to me years ago, but it was not a raccoon it was a mama rat and her young. They can and will get throught the chicken wire and will do exactly what was done to your babies and leave without leaving a trail. When you redo your pen please keep that in mind. I too lost my little flock of 7 baby silkies to a tragic accident Saturday night. Unfortunately mine were taken by mother nature, but I will make a thread about it later.
Frank

A story one of my local bird friends told at a bird club meeting.

This did not involve chickens but rather parrots. He raised big parrots (mainly Macaws) and kept pairs in outside cages made of chain link fencing (since these birds would eat through any other type of wire) up off the ground.

He began losing birds in the middle of the night, often finding only beaks or heads in the cages.

One night he had just gone to bed when he heard a couple of parrots screaming. He jumped out of bed and switched on the outside lights. Saw a pair of raccoons "working" the cages. One would get on top of the cage, one would stand underneath it. The one on top would bang on the roof of the cage, driving the parrots to the bottom...the bottom raccoon would reach up through the chain link, grab a foot or leg and pull it through the fencing...and begin chewing on it. The second raccoon would join the first.

The parrot would...literally...be eaten from the feet on up; a horrid way to die.

He was able to dispatch both the raccoons very quickly before the managed to kill this particular Macaw.

Gail

Ladies, Ladies, Ladies, - I read thru the entire thread and fail to see where anyone was rude or an idiot - people just offer some suggestions as what to do with predators - the way they offer it might be somewhat different but I'm sure their intent was not to belittle anyone or hurt anyone's feelings - they just wanted to help - now maybe because I'm an old man and my skin is a little thicker from going through life for over seventy five years I don't see anything wrong in what was posted - have a nice day everyone - and remember the old saying " ....." - man I forgot it -
ya.gif

Quote:
Just to clarify, i distinctly said i got the treatment on another topic or thread. Not this particular one. Hope that helps clear it up.

Quote:
That is utterly horrifying.... Those racoons would meet death the next time they stepped foot on my property! I couldn't imagine any of my pets meeting such a fate. They are so viscious~ in a evil sinister way they really know how to taunt their prey. Kinda freaks me out. I'm really sorry for your loss
hit.gif
but I'm also happy that you will be receiving some new babies to love on. Meanwhile it gives you time to secure their home from the danger.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom