They're starting to lay!

chickensalad

Chirping
10 Years
Apr 15, 2013
Hi everyone. Just introducing myself to the group and saying Hello! I'm pretty new at this "chicken raising" thing, and I've already gotten lots of help from all of you as an anonymous observer and researcher on the site. I decided it was time to stop "lurking" and join, since this is my second year of enjoying the fine art of backyard chicken raising! I started out with 6 laying hens last summer and promptly lost 4 to a raccoon (which we trapped and eliminated as a threat). Sent the other two away at the end of the warm weather season, since I wasn't set up to winter them over in our colder climate. Then I did a lot more research about how to keep my girls safe and healthy. After making modifications to the run (we completely enclosed it to keep out varmints) I bought fifteen 16 week old pullets in March and they are just starting to lay. Yesterday we picked up a 4 x 8 shed that I will be converting to a deluxe home for my hens. I'm so excited to set up their new home. I have lots of questions about the best way to do that, so I'm sure I'll be calling on some of you for input. Thanks to all of you for taking the time to share your experience and knowledge - as a beginner, I don't know what I'd do without you!

Hello and welcome from Ohio....so glad you joined BYC

Happy coop construction and good luck with your new girls. Enjoy those precious eggs :)

Greetings from Kansas, chickensalad, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased you joined our community! Happy your hens are giving you a return on your investment! Good luck to you and have fun!!

Back
Top Bottom