They've hatched!! It's a miracle!

LilDucky85

Songster
10 Years
Feb 8, 2009
Northern, Illinois
I came home from the feed store to 3 duckies out of their shell and running around the incubator!! I was not prepared for them because they came so early! I had fun getting the duck supplies today and figured that was my excitement for the night! I was beyond shocked to find 3 that had only pipped this morning to be out and walking around! All appear to be healthy!

Then after I got home another one literally jumped out of its shell! This one had been hatching all day so I thought it would be out by the time I got home. It was stuck in there so I laid the shell on the floor of the incubator and it quickly got out. The position it was in was impossible for it to break out in the carton.

My bator started smelling this morning like something had died. I didn’t want to open it but when I took the 3 out I grabbed the suspected egg. It had pipped the wrong end of the shell and had made no progress since last night. As suspected the poor baby died sometime since last night. I opened the shell and it was black and yellow. I have Pekins so I’m not sure what it was mixed with. It would have been a surprise egg! I’m upset because I would have liked a little dark one. I don’t mind if it’s mixed. I’m going to bury it tomorrow. Yes, bury it! This is my first hatch so I’m more sensitive to their deaths.

Happily I saw that one of the new hatching ones are black as well. I hope this one makes it!! My humidity is 92% even after opening the bator so none have dried out. There are 3 more left in the process of hatching! Wish them luck!!

Oh one question, is a UV light bulb okay for them or should it be just a regular one? I have a lizard bulb in there now.

how exciting but I would open the bator again and get that humidity down just to be on the safe side
big_smile.png

congrats!!!!

Thank you!! You think it’s too high even for ducks?? The recommendation says in the 90's for the hatching period??

How come no one told me they would be SO loud!! I was out for a few hours and although its crazy I could STILL hear them chirping in my head! lol They were following me I swear.

I'm happy to announce they've all hatched!! I have another surprise ducky!! Im not sure what it is but it is black and yellow! It looks like a bumblebee!! I was so excited! It was the very last to hatch. They are all resting, and exhausted now! What a work out!! Im not sure whos more exhausted them or me!

I have TONS of pictures to add later!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom