1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Thin egg shells? WHY

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Dilly, May 15, 2008.

1. Dilly

Dilly Cooped Up

Apr 15, 2008
    A friend called and asked if I knew why her chickens egg shells were thin when prior they were normal. I know there is a reason, I just cannot recall what causes this.

Anyone know. she says she feeds oyster shell on the side.

Dilly

2. Peeps

Peeps In the Brooder

May 12, 2008
    When that happens to my eggs I feed oyster shells. But since she is already doing that, I would try a vitamin supplement. If you have a feed store around or a tractor supply, they have a vitamin & electrolyte powder that you put in water. I have been using it for a year and my birds are so pretty & healthy. I don't use it all the time, but at least once a month I add it to their waterer. It comes in a bag and is only around $3.00. I am still using the same bag I bought a year ago. It is for horses, pigs, goats, poultry, etc.

3. stilwellchick

stilwellchick Songster

Jun 16, 2007
    Stilwell, KS
    I save their egg shells, microwave them for a minute to kill any bacteria, crunch them up and feed them to the hens. They like this much more than the oyster shell.

4. FutureChickenMan

FutureChickenMan Songster

Oct 29, 2007
    was there a change in their feed? switching from egg layer to starter or meat feed could be the culprit. (less calcium)

5. Dilly

Dilly Cooped Up

Apr 15, 2008
    I willl ask asn give her all these suggestions. Thanks so much.

Dilly

6. lost cowboy

lost cowboy In the Brooder

Sep 30, 2013
    I found an egg last week that was real thin and had a soft spot on it. I thought it was just because they were young chickens. Now the eggs are hard shell but thin. Thanks a lot for the advice on the vitamins.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: