Thin eggshells???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cmom, Oct 30, 2010.

1. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I am wondering if anyone else has had this. Our younger birds (Isa Browns) are 1½ yrs old. They have been laying well and still are except we are getting some eggs with thin shells. They always have plenty of oyster shells and they get some granite grit and grit that has some calcium in it, and once in awhile their eggs shells crushed up. Can I be giving them too much calcium? Can age have anything to do with it. I haven't had this problem with my older birds (RIR). I have gotten thin egg shells once in awhile. I found wet spots in some of the nest boxes and thought I might have an egg eater. Now I wondering if it could be shelless eggs and the birds are eating the egg. I haven't found a mess in the nests, just sticky wet spots most every day. I sell my egg so I can't sell the thin shell eggs. The birds are healthy and have been NPIP tested. It's a mystery and I'm wondering if anyone might have an idea. [​IMG]

2. Arcnadius

Arcnadius Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    Western WI
    I don't have an answer for you so I'd like to see what others have to say.

3. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    I have an ISA Brown, age unknown as I got her as a layer already. She used to lay huge eggs and the shells were normal. Now she only lays once a week or less and the shells are paper thin. I occasionally find a shell less egg laid usually in the yard. I suspect those are from her as well. She too has access to oyster shell and all the feed the others get. Maybe that is what happens when the production layers age.

4. farmereinar

farmereinar New Egg

Oct 31, 2010
    i think each chicken reacts to the shorter days differently

ive had free range chickens all my life, at one point i had over 600 donated to me from the philadelphia 4h club

id get 4-5 dozen eggs a day

so in any case, once this time of the year comes, even with proper feed and even with artificial light (ive had both incandescent and fluorescent lights in my coupe) the eggs will vary this time of the year, some will continue to lay normal eggs and some will have paper thin gooey shells, oblong shapes, odd colored shells ...almost like when the hen first starts laying

i guess there's no substitute for natural light

also to train ive always used plastic easter eggs in the roost to show where to lay

hope this helps some

5. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I'm having the same issue. 1 hen is 4-5 yo the other 2 are 2 1/2-3 yo. The older one's eggs have been thin shelled for a while now (that is when she lays) the other 2 are just slowing down, but for the past 2 weeks I've broken more than saved. I've been kinda lax lately about the oyster shell and calcium in general. No real advice, just sympathy. Here's some calcium rich foods:

1.Spinach
    2.Turnip greens
    3.Mustard greens
    4.Collard greens
    5.Blackstrap molasses (Can cause diarrhea in chickens)
    6.Swiss chard
    7.Yogurt
    8.Kale
    9.Mozzarella cheese
    10.Milk (goat's milk and cow's milk)
    11.Basil, thyme, dill seed, cinnamon, and peppermint leaves
    12.Romaine lettuce
    13.Rhubarb
    14. Don't know why it's empty
    15.Broccoli
    16.Sesame seeds
    17.Fennel
    18.Cabbage
    19.Summer squash
    20.Green beans
    21.Garlic
    22.Tofu
    23.Brussel sprouts
    24.Oranges ( Some people do not feed chickens citrus)
    25.Asparagus
    26.Crimini mushrooms

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by