Thin, Lethargic Chicken

MissBokBok

In the Brooder
Dec 2, 2015
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
5 month old EE, very underweight, small

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
Bird is lethargic, sleeps most of the day, doesn't eat much, losing weight

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
At least 1 month

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
No

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
No

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
The bird has a case of depluming mite and is one of the only ones not to recover yet. I believe this reflects her weakened state but is not the cause, as her symptoms are not that bad and I don't see much feather pulling.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Yes, I have seen her peck at the feed but she has not been filling her crop all of the way.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Normal but green from not eating enough.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Ivermectin and sulfur shampoo for depluming mite, salt water bath and blow-dry, force feed scrambled egg

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
Treat at home

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
She is very thin and stays hunched up. If you need a picture let me know.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
Sand floor run, attached coop. Fully enclosed, no free range. Plenty of wind and rain cover. Bird is currently inside for monitoring and force feeding.

I have an Easter Egger named Goldilocks who has not been especially healthy since I got her 2 months ago. As of a few weeks ago I kept her inside since she was not as healthy as the rest. At that time, she had a strange behavior of drinking lots and lots of water and spitting it up when she would bend for her food, get excited, or get picked up. When I withheld food for 24 hours she stopped drinking so much water, but started drinking again with eating. I thought she might be egg bound and gave her baths and massages, but that was not the case. I thought she was getting better and put her outside, but clearly she wasn't as I picked her up today and felt that she is skin and bone. I have put scrambled egg in her mouth for her to eat and filled her crop now, but she is not very interested in food or water. She mostly wants to sleep. It is strange because she has been lethargic for weeks now and held on, but I can't find symptoms of an underlying disease. She is not sneezing, her crop seems fine, she hasn't been attacked, the other chickens leave her alone. Please help. I feel so guilty letting her get this thin. I don't know how to perk her up and cure her. Thank you for your help.

Please post a picture if you can. Also post a picture of her poop too.

You need to get a weight on her. When was the last time she was wormed? You may need to start on an effective wormer such as Safeguard or Valbazen. Ivermectin may be good on mites and lice but it is ineffective on most worms.

This is a good link to read and make any more evaluations https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1048620/how-to-provide-emergency-and-supportive-care

If she is severely underweight you may need to begin tube feeding. Scrambled eggs area great to get something into her but are not going to provide enough vitamins and minerals for a good recovery.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/805728/go-team-tube-feeding
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1064392/step-by-step-tube-feeding-guide-pictures

Ok, I will stop by the feed store to get a syringe and tubing and try to find a kitchen scale to weigh her this afternoon. The link says I should keep her in an 80 degree room, I will put the heater on her when I get home.

She ate the bits of scrambled eggs I put in her mouth late last night, but when I tried again this morning she spat them out. Her crop didn't seem any emptier after 4-5 hours digesting. There is no blockage and it is not sour, it just seems to move quite slowly and she drinks a lot of water.

I thought about worming her but I am worried because I haven't seen any signs in her poop and I know worming can be really hard on a bird that doesn't have worms. Do you suggest I worm her?

Also, what kind of food shoukd I tube feed? Just crumble mixed with water? Thank you.

Look at the bottom of this post for a picture of the Kaytee Baby Bird formula.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1064392/step-by-step-tube-feeding-guide-pictures
You can get it at Petsmart. Also if you can't find a catheter tube the you may want to pick up a blue silicone airline hose for aquariums while your there. The catheters (in the link) are best, find one if you can. If you can't the "silicone" tubes are an acceptable second choice. Vinyl tubes can damage the esophagus and unacceptable.

Make sure you've watched the videos (page 1) and seen the pictures (page 2) of this link
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/805728/go-team-tube-feeding/10

It will be vital that you don't put any liquid, food, or tube down the hole in the center (trachea) or they will aspirate. But believe it or not tubing is very easy. I HIGHLY recommend getting in touch with @casportpony before you begin. She taught me how to tube my goose. She is very knowledgeable and a great teacher. Plus she can tell you how much food to give, how to mix it, and the do's and don'ts in the process. She will likely tell you to begin a tubing by getting fluids in her before starting the formula. She will tell you how much and how often. She will recommend gatoraid or pedialyte for the first couple of rounds so you may want to pick those up as well while your out.

Safeguard equine paste or Safeguard liquid goat wormers are the best to use as they kill most worms if she has any and it is safe to use. But dosage is best orally and how much will depend on her weight. Since some worms cannot be seen (such as threadworms for example) it couldn't hurt to start a wormer in case that is what is ailing her.

Currently I have another sick goose and just started the Safeguard liquid at .23ml per pound of body weight. My goose weighs 5 pounds so she is getting a dose of 1.15ml (5*.23=1.15ml) 1x per day for 5 days. After finishing the wormer I will be giving her some electrolytes and probiotics to replenish her digestive system.

Your chickens symptoms can be attributed to many things. I'm just suggesting you start with the most common (wormer) and she definitely needs to get some fluids and nutrition in her.

Thank you so much for your help. I will know what to do for next time. Goldilocks died sometime between 5:30 and 7:00 this evening. I don't believe she had anything contagious, she was just a sickly bird. I am beginning to think Easter Eggers are not all that hardy. I wish you all health with your birdies.

I'm so sorry for your loss.
hugs.gif

I can tell you that whenever you have questions this is a great forum to come to for answers. I hope you decide to hang around and do what I did/still do. I read lots of threads. Even if I can't help I can read the problems and the more experience forum members responses. I've learned so much lately from doing that.

Another great time worth spending is in the BYC Learning Center. Lots of great information in there.

Back
Top Bottom