Things I wish I'd known before I got a Farm...

1. What do you want on your farm?? Do you want a 'Hobby" farm w/ 5 sheep, a working farm w/ 500 head of cattle, 250 dairy goats, or a country cottage with fun things to do??

2. Know that NO ONE, NOT a person on this earth will care for your animals, house or farm the way you do!

3. Know that it takes lots of money to purchase, maintain and pay taxes on farm equipment.

4. Know you need a 'specaililtiy' for your farm to really work.

5. Know that it's a 365days, 24 hrs day, 7 days a week, 30 day a month (average), 12 months a yr. job!

Quote:
I guess I'm still confused. Are you wanting to make a living from being in the country or will you still be making your income somewhere else? That makes a lot of difference.

If the thing about having no electricity for a well was important new information, then I would suggest things like:

Learn how a well and an aquifer work, and don't buy a property without knowing what the well is like (type, depth, soundness of casing, what aquifer it is tapping, gallons per minute, and water quality -- the latter including nitrite/nitrate, plus ask local authorities if there are any particulr chemicals such as herbicides etc that are worth testing for in that area). Ask the neighbors how the property's well usually does during droughts. Figure out how the well's likely capacity matches your domestic needs AND your farm needs -- the people who we bought this house from went off to an old farm 15 min away to raise cattle, only to discover that the well could only produce enough daily water *either* for the household *or* for the cattle.

If there is a sump pump in the basement, you need a battery backup for it, and a way to swap in fresh batteries if you get outages longer than a day or two.

Learn how a septic system works, and have the tank opened and inspected before buying (and an opinion given on the likely state of the leachfield), and sock away some money in case it goes toes-up. Then, make darn sure not to be putting things down the drain that will mess up the system (it is NOT a sewer...).

Ask yourself 'why is this property being sold this time of year' and then try to think of nefarious answers. Like, "it is underwater all winter and spring", or "it is impossible to keep the mile-long laneway plowed of snow during February", or "the mosquitoes and blackflies killed everyone who came to look at the property over the summer"
wink.png

Find out from the municipal office what the zoning and building regulations are... not so much as how they pertain to you but how they pertain to your neighbors. Then imagine the most obnoxious thing built in the most obnoxious place next to you, and think about whether it would be ok.

Try to be real diligent about finding out about any old buried fuel tanks, old wells, or old outhouses *before* you buy, and have the cost of dealing with them (it may not be your choice, your insurance co may require it) factored into the price. In an older house, have an inspection done to find out about scary old wiring, asbestos-containing textured ceilings, lead paint, major repair bills about to happen, that sort of thing.

Before buying, ask the neighbors how often and how long the power usually goes out; how the roads are in winter; how the roads are in flood season; and how the previous owners (plural) did farming the place. If it didn't work well for other people, it is not your best bet.

Talking to the neighbors will also let you get a sense of how they would be disposed towards you and whatever enterprise it is that you want to get into. I'd really think twice about buying a farm with neighbors thinking what you're planning to raise is silly, pointless, obnoxious, etcetera.

And finally, when you move in, don't change things right away unless there is an absolute vital need. Live with the place for a year before altering odd things that may turn out to play some very important role at some other time of year, like a fence or bushes that block a view but keep the wind sweeping the driveway clear of snow.

Good luck,

Pat

I don't quite get what you are wanting to know either.

" Things I wish I'd known before I got a farm"

This is a very broad statement.

Depends on what kind of farm, crops? Crops and animals?

Please be more specific in what you are wanting to do.

"For instance the comment about water and back up power was priceless--I thought about it casually--but not really."

If you are 15 or more miles from a town, then this is a real deal.

Pat....some very great points. I can't believe that I didn't think about the septic system. Now there's some great fun...when the sewer isn't running and there's snow on the ground, the ground is frozen and you have to dig so you can open the lid so it can be pumped out.
roll.png

Answer these questions.

1) Is this your sole income? If so, take amount of $$ you need to live on (say $30,000/year), then divide $30,000 by your 30 acres. You need to PROFIT (MARGINS) $1,000/acre. Good luck finding a crop that will do that. While not impossible, there is a reason farmers farm more than 30 acres.

2) If it is a hobby (just want it to pay for the way you want to live but have salary to pay for expenses), then figure out what makes you happy and don't worry about the $$$$.

3) If you plan on taking time away from home for any reason, figure out WHO will take care of your animals when you are away. Make sure they agree w/your thoughts....

good luck.

Backup crops can be your friend, if you have problems with your main specialty. And have a backup for the backup. Something different enough you can fall back on it.

My grandmother had problems because both of her crops (watermelon and avocados) were water-intense, and during drought the irrigation killed her finances, which is one reason why she finally just gave up on farming.

I had friends who started farming in Oregon a bit over ten years ago, and thought their mainstay would be Christmas trees, with some berries for backup. Enter a drought year and pests. They lost most of the trees at 1 to 2 years of age. The berries weren't going to be enough, because the yield was down because of drought. But then they planted hay all over the lower field, and the hay was enough to get them through. It was fast and drought-hardy. With the backup crop an outside income (one of them went to work in a local store), they made it through so they could replant the trees, and now are doing okay on Christmas trees. But they keep a sideline of hay.

That's what I mean about backups for the backups.

I wish I had figured my time management better when we first started adding animals here. On the days I work, which are 12 hours days, I was scrambling to get chickens fed and watered, cows fed and watered, eggs gathered, stalls cleaned out, dogs and cats fed and watered all before dark. Then it was inside to get supper, kids homework done, nightly showers, spend some time with the kids and then once they went to bed it was cleaning house, paying bills etc. then fall into bed about midnight only to get up at 5:00 am and do it all again. (hubby gone during the week) I learned very quickly to do the big chores on the nights I don't work the next day. I water my animals every night but I usually try and throw enough feed that will last them 2 days. Housework and bills also wait until my days off. It works much better now.

I also wish I had thought about fences a little bit more. We purchased our cows (they were bottle calves) before we even had good fencing up. We were then scrambling to get fences up. We even purchased our chicks before having a coop. We were then scrambling to do a coop before they got too big. Now as we examine what we did we are looking at doing it over (double the work and cost) because we are wanting to expand. (add goats and more cows)

Outbuildings are the other big thing on my list. If you have animals you need good shelter from the weather. We had to purchase some buildings and build others. It was just another expense when we purchased animals.

I thought that when we purchased all our animals I could handle everything and what I didn't know the internet would tell me. Boy was I wrong. When it came to emergencies I freaked and went frantically searching for info on the internet. It was great I have got some great help and adviced but there were still times I came away even more confused. It is good to know someone whom has more experience then you do and also know a good vet that you can rely on and be there when needed. And don't be affraid to ask for help from neighbors or friends. I am fortunate that I have wonderful neighbors! The first winter we were here (no animals yet) I got stuck in our driveway from all the snow (hadn't purchased anything for snow removal) if it wasn't for my neighbor and his tractor I would have been stuck there until spring.

4Wheeler, that is all I can say. My hubby purchased ours and I wasn't very happy about it at the time. I thought it was a useless toy for him and it wouldn't be used. I was wrong. I use that thing everyday. I check cows, fencing, clean the driveway with the blade, haul fence posts etc.

It is so much work but I wouldn't have it any other way. My kids have grown so much since being out here. There is nothing better to me then to see my kids outside sitting on the ground talking to the chickens, petting the cows, running in the yard without a worry about who is going to drive up and take them, and getting self satisfation when the go to the garden and collect the veggies. It is a hard but wonderful way to live.

It isn't a cheap when you get started. Once you get running and set up it will be better but it seemed like we were always writting a check somewhere for things we needed. (some days it still feels like that)

We are just heading into our first winter with animals. I am somewhat scared about that and we are spending every weekend when hubby is home to get ready for the cold snowy days ahead. It will be worth it!

Good luck!

I'd want to know what yeilds the highest profit for the least cost per acre....! Animal wise, I read that it is sheep and goats....but, I'd want to know what I could grow for myself and also that would sell well & at a good price.

I'd also read up on the newest fencing techniques and cost of each.
And last but, not least....I'd look into being as self relient as possible.

Power outages, we have a full house generator.

Flooding, we built were we don't use a sump pump, and we won't flood unless the drainage ditch reaches us almost a mile away. We would put a pump in at that point:)

Gardening- a seperate kitchen for canning and freezing. Save time cleaning up to make dinner and extra messes.
And how time consuming gardening is, the work is well worth the rewards in the winter.

Time it takes to mantain and care for all the critters. Glad that the kids are older and do most of it:) If alot of manure then you need a spreader.

Can you produce some of the feed required for the animals? hay especailly is costly to buy. Save where ever you can.

We love our tractor too. Hubby has a snowplow that attaches to the bucket and we are able to plow out the driveway and to all the coops.

We heat with wood. It takes A LOT of wood. It heats a 1400 sq ft house, hot water, and 4000 sq ft shop for hubby.

that's all I can think of now. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom