Things to expect living in the country.

Well...they sort of have to train them to a fenced area in which livestock are living. Most Pyrs will bond with a herd and not be too willing to roam far from them. If this is not accomplished then you have some very large and hairy dogs roaming all over creation. The good news? They pretty much keep all the predators away for a few miles around.

If you don't train them for pasture duty and just raise them next to the house and family, they will want to hang out at home more than protect a flock of sheep. If they just hang out in the yard and become big, white lawn ornaments, they will also roam when you are not around to stop it.

Training is the key and something they will bond with and wish to protect at all times.

roll.png

Quote:
WHOOPS! I did mean septic tank! LOL

Expect to be stared at when visiting any of the local spots. They are not being rude just not used to seeing people they don't know.

As far as the strange people showing up, yes that has happened but most just look strange (rustic) but have been very nice. I feel better about walking around in the dark where I live then I would ever in the city.

Yes, get a BIG dog as they keep the riff-raff away when you are not home. With a dog be prepared for yucky things being found and left on the deck or porch for you to find first thing in the morning. I was apalled when we first moved to the country with our two city dogs and walked out to find both enjoying a dry cow pie.
sad.png
With free range bird, be prepared for poo on your porch, deck, sidewalks, etc. I don't even notice anymore but my city friends do.
big_smile.png

We found the first year that it was necessary to have a couple of important things. A wood burning stove and a generator as without power the furnace didn't work even with it being propane gas and the well pump didn't work. It is far worse being without water than heat.

Enjoy!!! I wouldn't trade it for nothing.

We lived out in the country off and on for many years, as renters (my parents were, I'm just the kid in the family LOL) and I agree with most of you in the posts.

One year in Sciota, IL, I remember a week of RAIN non stop! OMG! The floods in farmer's fields, impassable country roads being flooded over...so its a good idea to stock up camping style and learn the backroads and outroads when you really need to get out. Also check the house if it has a pump. Nothing worse having a flooded basement with all your hard work into canning comes out nasty.

Skunks and dogs do not mix, be prepared for that one LOL!

I would not trade anything for the experience I had living out on the farm, we were only five minutes south of the city, on a two acre farm and half an hour to a major city. The local town pretty much gave us what we need but any real expensive stuff or something you can not find in a small town like WalMart, you would go to the city. My dad works for Xerox Corp, does alot of traveling (repair techy) and once in a while he will pick up something for us to bring home. Otherwise my mother did all that and gas was cheap but propane was NOT! Propane for heating only, not cooking.

Also check your electric meters...sometimes you get an "off" meter that would charge so much for electricity and when you shut the entire farm down and the meter still runs, that is a problem (we had that problem, but didn't know it until we left the farm). That is another one to check.

Yes I agree with getting a hand pump, it is a necessity! I can not tell you how many times we had power outages during summer but not as often in winter but it happens!

Solar powered fences are not a bad option for saving more energy but personally I think it is just good for pens and small enclosures. Use the mega electric fence charger for acreage of pastures. If your animals are not in pasture, you can shut the electric charger off, particuarly in the winter. Always do fence maintaince once a week to make sure no weeds or flying plastic bags are not shorting out the lines or a line that has been snapped. Wire cutters are a good tool to have at all times, when horses get hung up in it or ran into it or pushed it down.

If you got someone who is using the drying bins, you can help the crop farmer if his silo blowers go out...he woud appreciate it even more because nothing worse is seeing his corn go to muck when he has no idea when the fans quit working. If you don't know how it works or how long it runs, just ask him. In return, he might do you a favor too! Had that happened a few times and we had to call Jordan to come and check out his corn silo motor because it just quit one winter day. He came out and found out that his propane was empty. So problem solved for him and no crop loss either.

As for kids, find anything that is deep and dangerous...those are the worst offenders of children being killed or maimed. Be clear on the rules or have a fenced in yard for the kiddos right outside of the back door.

Boots are a must LOL! AND a riding mower....not fun mowing those acre and half of grass by two of us mowing by hand............ugh!

Last edited:
My sis says she was required to walk the fence line every day. The horses boarded there were average horses, imagine a two year old child weighing near a thousand pounds or more, and bored. Look at your surroundings, and play the imagination game. Imagine the most unlikely, ridiculous to near impossible way for a critter (or a child for that matter) to get into trouble/hurt themselves or destroy something. Guaranteed that'll happen. Every sharp edge, loose board, sagging wire, bit of plastic or other trash, the guy lines for power poles...they will find a way to near or actually kill themselves on it.

Stow EVERYTHING. There was a loose dog, never knew whose, that stole a boot or a shoe of every pair left on porches to dry. The wind will blow everything loose or away. Water is an especially attractive disaster. Put a well-secured bit of lumber or limb in water troughs so all the little critters that fall in can climb out. Overbuild your gates using this rule of thumb: however long/wide the gate is, it must be able to support the maximum number of adults swinging on it, or the three largest critters deciding to hit it at full gallop.

Accept your truck / car will have scratches and dents. Also, rodent proof your vehicle (screen the cabin air intake!). Dead mice in the a/c unit is something so horrendous in odor you will want to burn the car. You will come to want those overkill tow winches and other crazy gadgets put on working trucks.

A herd of horses can be led (off the highway) with nothing more than a packet of instant oatmeal in the bathroom trash can (and me in a bathrobe), and a belt laid over the neck of the first horse at hand. Keep a plan in mind what to do with this herd of horses, until you figure out whose they are.

Steel toed barn boots are not overkill.

I don't think I could hack it in the big city ever again. I love it out here.

I had to move back in the city...hated it but financially we were not able to afford the traveling, gas and prices on farms were so unrealistic. Maybe a house with some acreage but not a huge farm. Something I can go va varoom on my riding lawmower once more! And no nosey neighbors!
barnie.gif

Remember your tollerance for being dirty will change. We regularly look at ourselves before going to the store or to anywhere else, and have the following conversations.
"Am I clean enough?" -
"I don't know, how about me?"
"Is this Walmart level clean?"
"Is this fast food level clean?
"Brush off this.... (mud, hay, dirt, manure)"
"you have dirt on your face"
And in the car - "who wore the barn shoes, I smell urine"

I concur with AmericanCanyon. Also remember oversized rubber barn boots, and a mud room area for spare boots and house slippers. I haven't seen any mention of fly swatters. Will never go back to city type living!

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif
:lau:lau:lau:lau

I think we're already experiencing the barn shoes issues, but replace it with chicken coop shoes and you've got it covered. I had to throw my 'barn ballet flats' into the washer before I could wear them to look at the house lastnight because they were covered in shavings/straw/feed/poop and I really wanted to wear them.

We're going back up tonight to look at the land/barn/etc... since it was dark as all get out when we got there lastnight, but I think this house is a total win. The inside still has all it's original character and they're pulling all the ceilings down and redoing them (admittedly, they're pretty bad, even for a 150 year old house), some of the floors were still original hardwood which was awesome, some was some scary laminate, but because the city owns it and can't sell it ever, we can live in it for as long as we want, so any money sunk into it we would get to enjoy
celebrate.gif
being that we deal antiques on the side I can see a lot of newer stuff that will be replaced with it's original counterparts, I would really like to bring it back to it's original glory. I think if we'd taken any family with us to look at it they'd think we were mental, but I can see that it's got fantastic bones, wonderful character, and just needs some love, and the DH and I love a good project, will keep us out of trouble during the winter
gig.gif
I've already priced out a clawfoot tub, cast iron kitchen sink, and salvaged cupboard doors and we haven't even signed a lease. The property is so unique he wanted us to take the weekend to think it over, I wonder if I should be worried
lau.gif

Hopefully will be able to post pictures when we get back
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom