THINK CHICKS ARE ABOUT TO LAY...question or two, please?!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickiemomeredith, Sep 12, 2011.

1. chickiemomeredith

chickiemomeredith Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2011
    Are you supposed to leave them alone? I mean we want to keep our eyes on them...even though we designed the coop with the nesting boxes with hay and want them to lay the eggs there...they don't seem to be playing along. Can you help with other ways on how to get them to lay in the right place? But in the event that it happens before that...like NOW haha...can we stand by and check it out?!! I wanna see!!! I'm like a proud...grandma? Lol.

Thank you!!!

2. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Chickens begin to lay at roughly 20-24 weeks. I would leave them alone at first to see what they do. I'm experiencing the same problem, they ignore the nest boxes but they love these 2 ferns, so I just collect my eggs there. I think the only way to get them to use your nest boxes is to just force them. For me, I walk out in the morning and they are crowded around the door to the run, wanting out to free range so badly... I feel too guilty locking them up. However, I think it's an inevitability that you will just need to lock them in an area by their nesting boxes for a few days until they are forced to use the boxes. Once they get in routine they should do it on their own. good luck.

3. somadlyinlove

somadlyinlove Chillin' With My Peeps

They do prefer a little privacy (some more than others) if the nest boxes are to their liking they will use them. That said I was the same way and I wanna peek whenever I have new girls getting ready to lay their first eggs I have 5 18 week old pullets now and once again I'm excited for them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by