Think I might go get some chickens today..

Well I deff want babes. But I dont want to incubate them. I thought nature could do....well what nature does.
Is that possible?
hu.gif

How do I pick out a nice unsick barred rock?

Watch out chickens are like Lays potato chips you can never have just one or in this case two. I went for only three then the number went to four, so my DH picked out five and the breeder threw in a extra so the number is up to six and I keep reading the buy, sell, or trade post and watching eggbid. Let us know how many you end up with
big_smile.png

Quote:
And that's how I went from zero to four to eight to nine ! And the McMurray's catalog is better than the Sears Toy Catalog I go when I was little - just to dream of all the ones I could get - only the ECC in my gated community stops me at 10 hens total - but I still have room for one more !

Barred Rocks are not known for going broody, so you may have to get a bator if you want chicks hatching at your place.
You look for healthy traits-bright, clear eyes, clear nostrils, look for lice, etc, but even then, you may not have a completely healthy bird. It's why I never buy started chickens.

its possible to an extent. i got 2 chicks and raised them completely. they were both hens. i waited until i got that first egg and then got new chicks. they were late layers so i had a while to wait until i could get new chicks and now i have four
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom