Think I'm ready

jma6004

Chirping
10 Years
Jan 30, 2013
Carencro, LA
I repurposed a barn stall for 15 Cornish X that I'm going to order. I have a few questions and I am open to any suggestions. The stall is 8 x 12. Essentially closed on all four sides. I have secured the two doors so I can enter and exit but nothing else can. To start I will have 2 125 watt heat lamps, an auto waterer, two small chick feeders (see below), an this will all be in an old large storage container. When the 15 are big enough I will just move them in to the stall. Same setup for water, I have a 50 lbs feeder that's on a pulley system for picking it up at night. I am in south Louisiana and although the lows right now are mid 30's, there is no wind and it should warm up soon. How soon can I take them out the "brooder" and move them in to the 8 x 12 stall. Also, how much pine shavings am I looking at? I think it will be but any opinions on the 8 x 12? Big enough for 8 weeks with 15 Cornish x? Thanks a bunch.
[/IMG][/IMG]

Last thing. How long will those two small feeders last me? I work so I need them to last at least 8 hours. A week? Two? I basically need to move them out the brooder whenever the two small feeders won't work anymore so they can start using the 50 lbs hanging feeder.

For the first week expect a half a pound of feed per bird.
2nd week, 1 pound per bird
3rd week, 1.5 pounds
4th week, over 2 pounds per bird.

Temperature will affect these amounts a little, but it's a good guideline for planning.

You may find that they can't get there heads in the chick feeders after 2 weeks.

They all need to be able to belly up to the trough at the same time. Check your big feeder and see how many grown chickens can eat from it together. I use 2 of the 7 pound hanging feeders and they still push and shove each other.

Several of us are documenting our meat bird flock, so read along and see what's hapening.

Good luck with it.

I use the Eco-glow 50 and 20 instead of heat lamps and then just use a regular light bulb for light.

If you are planning to keep 15 birds in an 8 x 12 area until they finish, be prepared to change the bedding material everyday and you are still going to have stinky, dirty chickens. These guys poop up a storm and are very stinky (unless you feed fermented feed which is my feed of choice!). My first year I kept 20 in a 6 x 16 pen, feeding nothing but dry feed and OMG, never again!! Now, I brood them and start hardening them off at about 2 weeks and at about 3-4 weeks they go outside where they have an enclosed pen for inclimate weather and a grass area that is fenced off with poultry netting that gives them about 2,000 sq ft to run (which contrary to popular belief they do like to forage). I would keep a very close eye on them because with so little space they are going to be very lazy and do nothing but eat, drink and poop which will lead to health issues. Watch for purple colored combs and squishy watery breasts. These are signs of Ascites aka congestive heart failure.

CX actually do better in cooler temps than hot (in my experience).

Good luck to you!!
fl.gif

You might want to try one heat lamp instead of two. I had one heat lamp for 35 Freedom Ranger chicks last spring so I can't imagine that one will be to little for 15 CX. My reasoning for suggesting one is that they can huddle under it if they need to be warmer, but can get away from it if they are too warm. It sounds like they will be on their own for lengthy periods of the day while you are away, and if they overheat and can't get away from the heat lamps, you won't notice them panting and could come home to a very sad situation.

Back
Top Bottom