Think it's too cold for your chickens? Think again...

Projected high the next 2 days? 8 degrees !
I wanna move some where warm! If the chickens want to come - I'll wear them as a coat until I get there! BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Last edited:
AK Bird Brain THANK YOU Xs many times over!!

A lot has been done to ease peoples minds on this thread which is very good but people have know start at the beginning , Please!! and above all use common sense for your situation not mine or AKs or anyone elses they meant as Guidelines not Absolutes.
D.gif

Yep I am also in the 10 to 20 below forcast for the next few days. Brrrrr I will be putting down some extra hay.
My chickens stay huddled together on the roosts when it's this cold. I have yet to have and frostbitten feet. As for frozen combs, the one roo that has bad frostbite is the mistery mutt that came with our chicks, he may not make it to see next winter if he keeps up is additude, I defently won't be keeping any other roosters with large combs over winter. I most likly will not be overwintering again my ISA brown girls either, they can't handle the weather here, and dont lay much, even in the summer, plus I want to get some birds I know will brood, and I won't overwinter more than 20 chickens.

Thank goodness I saw this post. I was about ready to move my girls to the basement.
A high of 2 tomorrow. 8-10 inches of snow, cant remember that much snow in decades. I cant remember -2 ever.

I do have heated water bowl and one red light on.I dont know if it keeps them any warmer because the area seems to big.

My coop is in our brick, detached 90 year old garage. No insulation. So the last few days they have broken into the rest of the garage, roosting on top of the scooter this morning! I dont mind, it is too cold to go outside.

I am going to go out and check the bedding for wetness, give them all a once over and then come back inside under my electric blanket.

Crud, new page started... disclaimer:
ANYONE JUMPING INTO THE MIDDLE OF THIS THREAD WITHOUT READING EVERYTHING IN BETWEEN, PLEASE READ THE FIRST POST.

There, that's taken care of.
lau.gif

It's a balmy 14°F here this morning, and lightly snowing as the sky sllooooowwwwwllllyyyyy lightens. Even I went outside with only a jacket... no hat, no gloves... feels great after -15F!
lol.png

BTW... I DO have some roos (Dorkings and Orpingtons) with spectacularly huge combs...some are nipped, some aren't.
hu.gif
But in the grand scheme of things I'm working my way back towards mostly rose/pea combed breeds for my layer flock. They do MUCH better in those really cold days.

Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

Crud, new page started... disclaimer:
ANYONE JUMPING INTO THE MIDDLE OF THIS THREAD WITHOUT READING EVERYTHING IN BETWEEN, PLEASE READ THE FIRST POST.

There, that's taken care of.
lau.gif

It's a balmy 14°F here this morning, and lightly snowing as the sky sllooooowwwwwllllyyyyy lightens. Even I went outside with only a jacket... no hat, no gloves... feels great after -15F!
lol.png

thumbsup.gif
is there anyway to just make this auto?? Say every 50 posts or so?? Do you realize how many posts there are ... no wonder your fingers are sore!​

Back
Top Bottom