Think it's too cold for your chickens? Think again...

a little warmer in my neck of the woods today. i think we might make it above freezing for the first time in a while. i opened the door to the run so that the girls could come and go as they please today. hopefully they are able to get out and scratch a little bit today. possibility of some light snow overnight and then some more starting saturday night. another cold snap is coming early next week, but this one doesn't look to be as cold as the last one. am i ever ready for warmer and longer spring days....

For those in El Paso sorry Never thought I'd see snow there! Plus Houston is going to get as much as 4 inches of snow. WOW ! Yet its 42 in Alaska?
tongue.png

In some areas it is... it's 24F here on the Kenai Peninsula, and another round of storms coming at us...
hide.gif

ya.gif

Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

In some areas it is... it's 24F here on the Kenai Peninsula, and another round of storms coming at us...
hide.gif

ya.gif

My brother lives just N of Chicago he'll trade !!!
lau.gif

Funny....I just talked to a friend of mine that lives in Houston. He said it was sleeting/snowing and pretty cold there. Strange for them to get frozen precip.

It went from a -25 thirty six hours ago to a +35 this afternoon. Snow showers and back to a -20 by monday. All depends on which direction the 25 mph wind is coming from. Been doing this for weeks on end now. Had some frost bite on a couple of my single comb roosters.

Last edited:
Quote:
Yep, here in the midwest we are known for our fast changing weather. I heard someone talking about Minnesota weather and he said, "If you don't like what it's doing now, wait 5 minutes."
lol.png

i'm officially done with winter. it was -14 here again this morning. we have a light blanket of snow - maybe 2", so thankfully it's not too deep. supposed to be in the upper 40's and lower 50's by the weekend, so i've got that going for me which is nice. sad thing is we could really use some more snow to put some good moisture in the ground prior to spring, and march and april are usually pretty wet.

Spring is not that far away in these parts. Bluebirds checking out nesting boxes; daffodills starting to come up; Canadian Geese massing by the hundreds, thousands for their trip back; the Arctic swans we call tundra, or whistlers, swans are also gathering into large flocks, and our cove finally melted after being frozen for 2+ months!
wee.gif
:weee YAAAAAAAAAAY!!! I was beginning to think it was Siberia, not southern Maryland for Pete's sake, out the front door.....

I think we are ALL done with this cold winter weather. It was -12 wind chill this morning, and supposed to be in the 50's this weekend. Confusing. My flock is ready to get out of the barn and did in the dirt for emerging insects. Me too! (Dig in the dirt that is...)
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom