Think it's too cold for your chickens? Think again...

Quote:
I have Norwegian Jaerhons and I love them. Going to start hatching in January I think!

How do their combs fair in the winter? It looks as if the roos have quite large single combs.

I sold my J roosters to a friend last year. He never mentioned a problem. I still have 2 hens that I just hatched a couple chicks from but their dad is a Penedesenca.

Quote:
I have Norwegian Jaerhons and I love them. Going to start hatching in January I think!

How do their combs fair in the winter? It looks as if the roos have quite large single combs.

They do ok, some get bit and some don't, but they don't seem to really have a problem with it.

Quote:
And Mother nature takes care of the weather.

thumbsup.gif

I agree completely with this! My chickens love the cold. We had a freak blizzard and they laid an egg a day through the whole thing. (It was strange getting a frozen cracked open egg lol)

LOL!

Yep, hovering about freezing here at the farm this morning, reports of snow all around SouthCentral AK. Chickens are doing great. Even the 7 week olds.
wink.png

Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

LOL!

Yep, hovering about freezing here at the farm this morning, reports of snow all around SouthCentral AK. Chickens are doing great. Even the 7 week olds.
wink.png

We've had FROSTY mornings for about 2 weeks--this morning it was 10.
sad.png
Not ready for the cold. I'm in Montana!

I LOVE this thread. Thanks so much! I'm feeling a lot better about our situation after having read this! I do agree that birds will adapt to their surroundings, just like other animals, but wasn't sure about the EXTREME cold we get. And it might be that those folks in FL that were worried about the temperatures are seeing extreme cold for their neck of the woods, which MIGHT be a hazard if the chickens are used to 90 degrees, kwim?​

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom