Think this is a paw print?

biteme2134

Songster
6 Years
Jul 21, 2013
GA
My Coop
My Coop
I lost a few chickens a week or so back and since then my birds have been locked up mostly. Here's a link to the post with pics of my missing birds if you want to see:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...d-lost-another-more-pictures/40#post_15229599

Today it rained this morning and in the afternoon I went to get eggs. I found what looks to be a paw print about 3 feet from my nesting boxes. Wondering if it looks like a print to anyone else and maybe it would give a clue to what is killing my birds.

The last picture is what I think I see... what do you think?

The two below are the same just one that I put some shadows on...

My take:

Looks like it to me. Really sorry about your chickens. Good luck! Hope it was not a racoon.
sickbyc.gif

I am thinking Coyote ... that's what took a rooster last year. Neighbor saw it happen so I know they're bold enough to do it

Coyote or domestic dog. Cats, Bobcats, Mountain Lions, Domestic Cats do not leave prints with noticeable claw marks like this one. Cats keep their claws retracted until they are needed.
Racoon and/or Skunk have distinguishable elongated toes in their prints which are missing here. Are there lose or feral dogs in your area, could a neighbors dog be lose? If a coyote you will probably not see it. They are nocturnal hunters. Make sure your coop and run are skirted with 1/4 inch fence fabric to prevent digging under. Make sure all your birds are inside at night and the the coop is securely closed and locked. You would be amazed at what a determined and hungry predator can do to gain access to a meal.

When I lost a rooster to a coyote last year I upped my security. I have hardware cloth covering everything up 5 feet and about a 10 inch skirt barred outside the coop. Hopefully that's enough

On a coyote track the 2 front toe marks will be close together. If it is a dog or a dog crossed with coyote the 2 front toe prints will be farther apart. The track that you have up does not look like coyote to me. It looks like a dog track. I would be looking at a dog getting my chickens more than a coyote. It could be a cross breed dog and coyote too.

Back
Top Bottom