Thinking about 2 new hens- must meet certain qualifications, anyideas?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by rachel, Mar 3, 2008.

1. rachel

rachel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Here is what I currently have:
    1 EE, 1 Blue Andalusian, 1 RIR
    Unlike what I usually hear, my RIR is friendly but LOUD. My EE is by far the friendliest (I can call her and she jumps onto my arm) and the andalusian is really quiet, but when she does make noise, it's more of a quiet coo.

Here's what I need:
    They're for eggs only so it does not need to be dual purpose, I'd like a good layer
    Heat tolerant- It gets up to about 120 here, the lows are rarely below 28
    Quiet- I live in the middle of the city and don't want angry neighbors
    I would like them to be friendly to me, but that's not as important as them being friendly to the other hens.

I'd like to get two different varieties so I have a good mix. I can only get two because where I live, the law says I can have 5 hens. I was thinking an australorp maybe? Barred rock?

2. MS9325

MS9325 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    I loved my black Australorp, i live close to my neibors and they never knew also my gold sex links were great layers and quite as well.

3. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    From my experience I definately would not go with BR. Mine are very dominant over my EE's and are constantly chasing them. I would think an Orpington or standard Cochin would work.

4. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    Yes Barred Rocks. I do turn the fan on mine here in the hottest of our North Carolina summer, which last year was at least 100. The have tolerated our cold here well, lows about 30 at night lately, course they are in a coop with a heat lamp of 100 watts. Extremely sweet natured and makes more cute noises than loud obtrusive ones. My Rhode Island Reds make an entirely differnet sound, more of the loud bwak bwak moises. The Rocks are chatty when I'm out there and all of them are noisey when laying an egg but other than the egg laying or socializing with me, they are quiet as mice! The Rocks are the ones that jump in my lap to be held and hugged on. [​IMG]

5. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    Get another Andalusian. I think they are beautiful. Or a brown Leghorn (or any Leghorn not production bred). The hens are mild mannered and they are very good layers.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2008
  6. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    My barred rocks are noisiest when someone is using the nest box they want to use. They are also most likely to start the "I just laid an egg" alarm. [​IMG] But, I luvs them anyways. They're super friendly and generally don't put up a panic when I catch one of them. [​IMG]

7. Kaneke

Kaneke Chillin' With My Peeps

just make sure you quarantine them, when adding hens to an existing flock ... plenty of threads on this ...

8. Bawkadoodledoo

Bawkadoodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    Central MA
    If you get *THAT* hot, get a turken!

9. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

I would say Brahmas, but mine suffered in the humidity...I'd stick her in a wading pool and she'd feel a little better.

I think a Cochin might have the same problem.

How about a Modern Game?

10. rachel

rachel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I want a turken or a showgirl so badly, but I'm sure they'd get sunburned. [​IMG] Maybe I can get one and get her a little chicken sombrero to keep the sun off!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by