Thinking about a dog...any ideas?

Hmmm. That's interesting, DobermanGuy. I've been working with dogs for thirty-five years and have never heard that before. As compared to the issues caused by *not* neutering/spaying a dog (including a bunch more of those "problem" shelter dogs from people who couldn't be bothered to spay or contain their pets), I think I'll continue to take whatever health risks might be associated. The only dogs I've ever had die under 14 years of age were both hit by cars, and the only one who ever had health issues was the lab/husky/wolf mix -- he developed the benign fatty cysts labs are prone to, and one got so big it had to be removed. So there was only one out of all my dogs over the years who had major health issues, all were fixed, all very long-lived -- but then again, they were almost all problem shelter mixes
big_smile.png
. The only other one who ever had health problems was my family dog, acquired when I was two -- pure-bred malamute, developed cancer at age 14, we lost her shortly after her 15th birthday.

By the way, I have no doubt that you're an exceedingly responsible dog owner! If my post in any way seems to imply that, it's truly not meant to. But yeah, I get seriously steamed at the number of people who *won't* spay/neuter their pets because it's "unnatural" and who also feel free to dump the unwanted pups on the side of a highway. Having reclaimed many, many abandoned, injured and abused dogs, it's a bit of a sore spot with me :)

Let me preface with I'm a strong believer in a trained dog; well worth the effort. So the first requirement is a trainable dog. For detailed info on many breeds, the good and the bad, find Mathew Margolis' book, good dog, bad dog. Gives the pros and cons on every dog. I may be mistaken on the title, but he has a fabulous book on breeds
We are thinking about getting a dog in the next year or so. We have a fully fenced yard, and our 2 kids have been asking, and it seems like a good time. We're having a tough time deciding on a breed or mixture of breeds. Here's what we're thinking:

4 year old DD wants a chihuahua or a toy poodle. DH and I would rather get a rat. Just too little and yappy. Toy dogs MUST get training or they will become terrorists and may bite. I've seen it happen. Right in training class. Not all little dogs are yappy--check out the breeds.

DH and I both dislike terrors...Oh! I mean terriers.Terriers are hard to train and like to kill things. A good friend has 6-8 terriers at any iven time. AND they do not have children.

DD and I like the temperament of a lab, but they're too darn big. Wish they'd develop a mini-lab. Also a little worried since they're bird dogs...Some lines are small. FInd a good breeder of the English type, not the american type. Being a retreiver means they are not to kill the bird only pick it up and bring it to his owner. THey are not killers. THey are more puppy like compared to terriers.

I grew up with FABULOUS shelties with obedience and herding pedigrees. Smart, and trainable to see chickens as wards. (My first one would herd the rabbits! They could hop right underneath her.) The right size, the right temperament, but perhaps too much fur. (I would love it, but DH would like something less fuzzy.)Fur was a big deal to me. I needed a dog that I didn't need to groom regularly. MANY herding dogs now available tough I think all have a long ish heavy coat except the rottie. Might be worth investigating for any shorter haired breeds.

I've heard about mini australian sheepdogs, but I know nothing of their temperament...Anybody know one? Call several breeders and ask. Noting that you have children.

Anyone with corgi experience? Right size, right fuzziness, herding background, but I haven't owned one or had much experience with them. DH has a friend with a friend that breeds them, he always has nice things to say about the dogs as his friend has one ( show) and takes care of friends dogs. Dh enjoys throwing the ball for the corgi. ( he never plays with my dogs.)

I have no problems with a mixture, as long as the mixture is of family-friendly breeds and not too huge. So! What have you got that works with your kids and that you dearly love? Skip the hounds. Unless you are into tracking and hunting and like loud dogs; tracking instinct will outweigh any commands to come. BIL lost his hound/lab mix to a squirrel running across the busy street. Nice dog too.

A well bred lab is ALWAY a good choice. As are many in the retreiver family, but not all. Buy from a reputable breeder and make sure the parents have had the hips xrayed and are clear of hip dyplasia.

English setter--met one , nice dog. Tall but light weight.

Many people adopt gray hounds around here; they can tolerate being cooped up in a house and are very quiet. Need to be walked on a leash.

Read the AKC site; just know they are out to promote every breed and usually do not reveal the best lifestyle for that breed.

I also talked to my vet as he saw MANy different breeds of dogs and could help me with temperaments.

I personally love rotties and labs; I've had 3 rotties, all under 80#, BUT they are not for the average dog person; they need very good training and a master in charge. Most of us with kids don't have time for that,; the labs are a better choice as the labs will not challenge your authority the way a rottie will. My next dog will be a lab again. My frist lab weighed 95 pounds and my second weighed about 65# and out weighed his mother. THe small ones are out there.

--Nikki

Last edited:
Let me clarify...

I have no issues with shelter dogs! I have the 2 most fabulous cats on the planet, and we got them from the county shelter last fall. My mom had a great mutt who was an excellent companion for her. I've also had healthy, happy purebred dogs from reputable breeders. The only source I absolutely won't consider is a pet store, as they tend to use puppy mills as a source.

I volunteered with a greyhound adoption group, and I LOVE those dogs, but I don't think they're right for our lifestyle right now. While our fence is 5-6 feet tall, portions of it are see-through, and a greyhound has to have an opaque fence. I also fear the chase instinct...stronger in some than in others. One day I was walking a pair of HUGE males, and they totally ignored cats and squirrels. Another day I was walking a little female who seemed completely placid until she saw a squirrel. She must have hit the end of the leash at about 40 mph, and gave me a whopping bruise on my wrist. Yeah, between the cats, the chickens, and the kids, we'll have to wait on the greyhound.

My biggest considerations are:

***size...not too big, not too small.

***kid friendly breed or mix

***I have a soft spot for herding dogs, as I find them family-friendly and responsible.

I've been searching the net, both in the shelter sites and in the breeder sites. Oh, and we will spay/neuter. I think it's the responsible thing to do. (I had a spayed cat that lived to a ripe old 19 years!!)

--Nikki

Last edited:
Hi,

Make a list of the breeds you think you want. Then contact the breed clubs in your area, now days most of them do breed rescue. The one I have worked with here in my area are very thorough on evaluations for the right dog for the right family. Most breed clubs have the contact information for their rescues in the area. Some of them even take in mixbreeds that are part of their breed. I have placed many dogs this way. I have also euthanized dogs that are not adoptable. I was very active in rescue for over 25 years. Rehabing, training,ect.

Just remember it will take as long as it takes for the right one to come along. Don't be in a hurry, take your time.

Maye

Ride the Glide......Got Gait......I Do....

Great advice, Maye and Arielle! :) Nikki, for what it's worth, once you've got your list of breeds you think you might like, I'd go through and cross off every one that has a strong hunting instinct, as opposed to herding instinct. That's something that can't be trained out of a dog, although they CAN be trained to control it. Doesn't make it go away, though, and all it takes is one slip for your prize hen to go poof :p

Labs do come in a variety of sizes. The smallest one I knew came up just to my knee at the withers (I'm 5' 6") and weighed maybe 40 pounds. She was an absolute love, and extremely laid back. I'm also very fond of Shelties, but there you have a LOT of fur to contend with! Maybe a water spaniel? Of course, they might tend to have a lot of fun "flushing" your birds...

I am reminded of a dog that needed rehoming, and the information I got was thru a third party. Well much of the information was incorrect from all parties. Owner and middle man. Fortunately I said I would take the dog on trial and see how she managed at our farm with a zillion cats inside and out. Within 3 days I knew this dog , a weinmarana, would kill my cats in a heart beat given a chance. I returned the dog. No regrets.

Many shelters test the dogs and can help match the dog to the right home; they want the dogs to have forever homes.

That is only true in some extreme cases... Example: Breeds like pugs that were 'bred' to have messed up faces and prone to have breathing problems as a result.

You are more likely in the end to get someones elses 'problem' from a shelter. By this I mean everything from health issues to temperment problems.

That little doggie from the shelter is very likely to be fixed as well and this CAUSES long term health risks and increases the chances for many diseases. Your particular Vet may not mention this to you as they are more concerned with population control than they are the individual longevity of the particular dog but the fact remains that there are TONS of current studies that prove the increased health risks and shortened lifespans associated with spayed/neutered dogs.

My purebred dogs WILL outlive your mixed breeds and have a better quality of life. Picking the right purebred is the key here...

Google the studies done by Laura J Sanborn for more info on this matter if you need. She cites ALL of her references and studies that were considered in her evaluation.

We will have to disagree. My statement was based on the experience of two professionals in the field that work with dogs on a daily basis combined with my personal experience. My daughter has been a vet tech for 8 years in a practice that focuses on dogs. She sees this proven daily. The vet in that practice - who was our vet prior to my daughter working there - states the same based on his 30 years of practice.

I find it irresponsible that you would broad-brush rescue dogs in such a cavalier manner. You can get health and temperment issues from purebread dogs, as well. Either way, it's a crapshoot. With a rescue dog you do have an opportunity to get to know the animal and observe his/her health providing you're working with a responsible rescue organization.

Many times you bring home a purebred puppy that has been delivered from a puppy-farm mother and you don't have a clue as to the problems you've purchased until months later when they appear. I have a neighbor who purchased a purebred and it was 6 months before they learned it had an immune system disorder which has the animal in constant pain, requires daily medication, and has cost them several thousand dollars at this point. The dog is not yet a year old. I know this because my daughter dog sits for them. They need someone with vet skills who can give the medicines if they go out of town.

My dogs are neutered and spayed and I would recommend that everyone do so. I've not seen - but have not looked for - evidence that doing such shortens their lifespan but it's one of those risks we'll have to take. Puppy birthing is not without its own risks so it's a trade-off for her.

I'm sure you hope your purebred will outlive my mixed breed but you truly have no clue. Maybe we should get back to each other in a few years to compare notes? As far as quality of life - other than health, the quality is purely subjective.

BACK TO THE ORIGINAL POSTER - Find a good humane society in your region. They usually have open houses, special events, etc., where you can go in and see how they operate. They should have a full history of each animal, including where they got it from and the circumstances. They do NOT want to pass on animals with problems as they don't wish to be held responsible and they don't want the dog coming back to them via an unhappy adoption.

Have you considered:

standard poodle-- a light wt dog and not like the toys at all. A real working dog class.
Bernese mountain dog--very pretty, med-large in size; becoming more popular.

Not akc approved yet is the maremma-- a smaller version of the big white sheep guard dogs; this is an Italien dog and much smaller; Heavy coat but doesn't need a lot of care. Maremmas are a working dog.

Spaniels--some are better than others, but fall into the retreiver family just a smaller package. So they are family friendly.

I looked at each catagory of dogs to determine their job and if that groups would work for me; I eliminated the toys, the terriers, the hounds. The working dogs are bred to work with people and take orders; they are usually easy to train.

What you need to also consider is temperament testing. When I bought my first Rottie the puppy had been temperment tested by a rottie judge. I got a dog that was both brave and not fearful. A dog that is vey concerned for its well being is likely to be a fear biting, which I consider a dangerous dog only for a pro to manage. THis is why I do suggest a lab, either black or yellow; a breeder told me most chocolates have temperament problems. Off the 50 dogs on her property only 3 adults were chocolates. She was very picky. THe dog I bought from her was exactly as she described. A gem with my kids.

Have you considered going to an AKC sanctioned show and look at he dogs; you can see a lot at once. And talk to handlers and breeders, if they have time.

I purebred dogs so I know what I am getting. I predicatability. Can this dog do the job I need done?

I took 6 months looking at breeds, talking to vets, etc. I found a breeder highly recommended by a reliable source ( my brother had bough one of her dogs) and I bought a lab. But he was too friendly and didn't protect my house. I bought a rottie puppy who was guarding the car at 15 weeks old. Well the lab just needed a little more time to grow up and the protection mode did develop. I let my kids play with the Lab, but not the ROtties. As my kids learned on the lab, and got taller than the dogs I trained them how to handle the rotties. THey now have a good handle on managing the rotties. ( Very hard to win the respect of a rottie.) Labs are very easy dogs.

To give good, professional breeders their due (sorry for the quick thread hijack!) there are plenty of people who breed dogs because they love them and love a specific breed, just the way there are many, many fabulous poultry breeders who are constantly attempting to improve their chosen breed(s). To those breeders, my hat is off
smile.png
But yeah, we don't eat dogs, so it's not quite equivalent to chickens -- with them, we can always eat the unintended mutts. With cast-off or unwanted dogs, their endings are seldom as quick or humane.

Sorry! Touched on a sore point with me. Let us know when you find your new family member, Nikki!

Back
Top Bottom