Thinking about a Great Pyrenees & Black Mouth Cur mix puppy

calmeter

Songster
6 Years
Mar 28, 2017
I have an appointment to look at a litter of puppies tomorrow. The father was a Great Pyrenees and the mother a Black Mouth Cur. I live on 24 acres with 14 chickens and ducks. (I had more chickens, but recently lost 13 to attacks by predators) I am looking for a dog that would be able to run off a fox, coyote or bobcat. Or just to be present so the predators know a dog is around. The pups that I am going to look at resemble the Black Mouth Cur, but I worry about the Great Pyrenees genes. I have been reading about them and have often heard that they wander. They will even climb over a fence if they feel the need to investigate. I am also concerned about a Great Pyrenees being territorial around food with my cats and my senior dog. Anyone have input on dogs that are half GP?

I had Koms and they were not food aggressive. I don't know anything about the Black Mouth Cur. Are they guards or herders? A herding dog crossed with a guard dog does not turn out well. Pyrs are notorious for wandering, I do know that.

I have an appointment to look at a litter of puppies tomorrow. The father was a Great Pyrenees and the mother a Black Mouth Cur. I live on 24 acres with 14 chickens and ducks. (I had more chickens, but recently lost 13 to attacks by predators) I am looking for a dog that would be able to run off a fox, coyote or bobcat. Or just to be present so the predators know a dog is around. The pups that I am going to look at resemble the Black Mouth Cur, but I worry about the Great Pyrenees genes. I have been reading about them and have often heard that they wander. They will even climb over a fence if they feel the need to investigate. I am also concerned about a Great Pyrenees being territorial around food with my cats and my senior dog. Anyone have input on dogs that are half GP?
From my experience with Great Pyrenees (pure bred), they do wander, a lot! And they will tear down a fence to go wander and do what they want. We had more than 5 acres in one area fenced for just 2 dogs, chickens, and sheep. They didn't give a crap about the animals and cared more about exploring. Now, everyone has different experiences so this isn't ALL Great Pyrenees.
Currently, we have a 2 year old female Great Pyrenees/Akbash mix. She is super good with animals, but escaped in the past if someone left the gate open so she could explore the country. When we fixed this issue, no problem. She has been great ever since. Now, we also have a Great Pyrenees/Anatolian cross male that will be a year this year. He is also great with animals, and even when we didn't have a fence up while he was a puppy around the house, he stayed in the yard and never wandered. He has yet to test the fence and is happy and content to stay with the animals.
I will say I'm not sure about the mix you are going to look at. Not only would I worry about the Great Pyrenees mix in it, I would also really worry about the Black Mouth Cur mix. I am not sure how they'd be around chickens or small animals since they're used for hunting, not protecting animals.
My recommendation is either a pure bred Anatolian Shepherd, Anatolian Shepherd×Great Pyrenees cross, or a Great Pyrenees crossed with something used for guarding, like an Akbash.
But whatever you choose, make sure to introduce them to the animals at a young age and know it does take a little time for the big beauties to mature all the way.

***Edited to mention our dogs are not food aggressive, that also comes with time as well as training if it is shown in the puppy stage.

From my experience with Great Pyrenees (pure bred), they do wander, a lot! And they will tear down a fence to go wander and do what they want. We had more than 5 acres in one area fenced for just 2 dogs, chickens, and sheep. They didn't give a crap about the animals and cared more about exploring. Now, everyone has different experiences so this isn't ALL Great Pyrenees.
Currently, we have a 2 year old female Great Pyrenees/Akbash mix. She is super good with animals, but escaped in the past if someone left the gate open so she could explore the country. When we fixed this issue, no problem. She has been great ever since. Now, we also have a Great Pyrenees/Anatolian cross male that will be a year this year. He is also great with animals, and even when we didn't have a fence up while he was a puppy around the house, he stayed in the yard and never wandered. He has yet to test the fence and is happy and content to stay with the animals.
I will say I'm not sure about the mix you are going to look at. Not only would I worry about the Great Pyrenees mix in it, I would also really worry about the Black Mouth Cur mix. I am not sure how they'd be around chickens or small animals since they're used for hunting, not protecting animals.
My recommendation is either a pure bred Anatolian Shepherd, Anatolian Shepherd×Great Pyrenees cross, or a Great Pyrenees crossed with something used for guarding, like an Akbash.
But whatever you choose, make sure to introduce them to the animals at a young age and know it does take a little time for the big beauties to mature all the way.

***Edited to mention our dogs are not food aggressive, that also comes with time as well as training if it is shown in the puppy stage.
I just had to have my Maremma Sheepdog put down as he mauled my older dog twice. He was extremely territorial over his food and I never felt at ease with him when he was around my cats. He didn't like them and they didn't like him. He was an excellent patrol dog, running the property and barking all night. He was fine around the chickens. I got him from animal control and he was 6 months old, so who knows what his history was.

I had Koms and they were not food aggressive. I don't know anything about the Black Mouth Cur. Are they guards or herders? A herding dog crossed with a guard dog does not turn out well. Pyrs are notorious for wandering, I do know that.
Apparently they are an all around ranch or farm dog. They were bred in the southeast US to work at herding, protecting, hunting and cart work.

I just had to have my Maremma Sheepdog put down as he mauled my older dog twice. He was extremely territorial over his food and I never felt at ease with him when he was around my cats. He didn't like them and they didn't like him. He was an excellent patrol dog, running the property and barking all night. He was fine around the chickens. I got him from animal control and he was 6 months old, so who knows what his history was.
Wow! That's crazy. I definitely see why you are questioning the food aggression trait. I don't have the exact answer on the Great Pyrenees, but from my own experience, any dog can be food aggressive if not corrected early on. I would definitely visit the litter a time or 2 before making the decision, and ask the owner/breeder if they would let you watch them eat together if possible.

I used to be on some boards for lgd's and those who raised GP would often comment Not to mix them with other breeds almost to the adement point. I've been looking at lgd's myself and think when it's time to buy will go with a Kangal. I'm not sure that mix would be one I'd say yes to.
I'm surprised with the Marema. I've heard wonder things about them.

So we bottle raised a pup from a litter that was dumped at a rescue. The rescue was told Mastiff/St. Bernard mix but he clearly is not. We did a genetic test on him (which the validity of these can be debated, I know). His came back 25% Great Pyrenees 25% Rottweiler and 50% mixed breed. After a lot of research I believe him to be a BMC mix. The dog is a bit off, could be the lack of mother and litter or bad breeding, but trained amazingly fast. Doesn't leave the yard unless he spots a bunny or squirrel and chases it out. Off leash commands, distance work and recall spot on. Sound in his protection of me (trainer saw it in action with two other dogs and owners in the waiting area) and we were actually a little shocked of how sound and his reading of the situation was. He is very "pack" oriented and if it's "mine" he doesn't touch it, including chicks and chickens. As far as trainability, protection and desire to please he's top notch.

Be warned though, this dog's energy levels are intense. He is extremely play motivated, which is good for training, but extremely annoying as Mastiffs are my preferred breed which shows just how much I like high energy dogs. Lol

I also know someone who rescues GP and GP mixes for guarding sheep, lambs and chickens. She is extremely happy with them. I believe her one mix is GP/Anatolian Shepherd which she has been really happy with. These are rescues who are deemed to be best suited, by the rescue, for outside living. They call her to take them. Maybe that is a possibility for you? They are usually already trained which is a bonus!

I have a black mouth cur and she has been watching over my ducks since she was a puppy and they were lings

Back
Top Bottom