1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

thinking about a guinea?

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by newham0614, Sep 11, 2010.

1. newham0614

newham0614 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    orange,va
    would 1 guinea get along with a flock of chickens?

2. jrobertson

jrobertson Robertson's Rare Poultry

Apr 24, 2010
    NW Alabama
    it might get lonely. i always try to kepp at least 2 of any species i aquire.

3. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
  4. Cheepy-cheeps

Cheepy-cheeps Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2010
    Ocklawaha
    We have a single guinea in a run with a few chickens. Originally, there were 6 hand raised keets that had grown up in the house and were friendly enough to be handled. We put them out in the run, they got on fine, and a raccoon or opossum came in the night and slaughtered all but 1. It was truly heartbreaking. We scoured feed stores in the area to get some more so that she wouldn't be lonely but it took a few months to get some more. We didn't want to order 25! We finally have more young guineas but, my grandmother doesn't want to separate the loner hen from the chickens now. LOL She is laying eggs and the rooster has been trying to breed her so we're kinda curious what will come out. They can breed but the offspring will be infertile. So, as far as I can tell a guinea should get along fine with chickens, just keep an eye out just in case. Hope that helps. [​IMG]

5. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    Quote:The main reason your bird is getting along fine with the chickens is that its a female. A male would a completely different thing.

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Oh, yeah, Robin is right. An alpha male, especially, will be a torture device for a rooster and whatever hens he doesn't like the color of.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by