Thinking about getting a dog or two

Border collie I love them the best dog I ever had was a border collie/golden mix. She was the greatest dog anyone could ask for she wouldnt bother anything chickens included.She taught herself agility in our backyard and was very good at it. I still miss her and if I ever get a new dog it will be a border mix.
In the end you should probably go with whichever breed suits your lifestyle though.

Quote:
well, you have a variety of breeds selected there, some with very different temperament types.

What are you looking for in a dog?

Be aware that many herding breeds must be kept separated from livestock except when they are working.

Also be aware that most of the herding breeds also come with a fair amount of territorial "guardiness" which can be an issue if you don't have good fencing and have people coming and going.

In particular the Australian Cattle Dog, Australian Shepherd, and the GSD have this trait. If these dogs are not well fenced you can have issues with the dogs confronting, threatening, or even biting person's who enter what they feel is their territory especially if you are not at home.

The hound in this group of dogs is like a tomato in a bowl of apples. LOL Why the lone hound?

A consideration with the Border Collie is the activity level of most of these dogs. They REALLY need a job to do. Many will worry stock if not confined when they are not working. Lots of them are strongly territorial and not welcoming to strangers as well.

Health concerns should also be at the top of your list when you are looking for a breeder.

Most of the breeds you mentioned should be screened for hip, elbow, heart, and eye disease, and responsible breeders will be saying up front they do this, and provide the proof through the OFA data base.

http://www.offa.org

This is a screening body and data respository, with a fabulous online look up feature.

As an example, you can put my kennel name, Redyre, in the search box, and look at what comes up.

If you have any questions about any of this, just let me know.

What do you want the dog to do? Then narrow the breads- and remember- herding and guarding dogs are very, very different.

Although I'm aware that many people absolutely adore their border collies, we'll never own another one. Wayyyyy too much energy for a middle-aged couple.
We now have a german shepherd pup and intend to get another from the same breeder that he came from. The breeder has another litter scheduled (different sire and dam) that will be ready when our pup is about eight months old.
The GSD is perfect for us. Active, but not maniacal. Very protective of us and our home.
The dog we just lost was mostly irish wolfhound. I will own another irish wolfhound someday.

Hmmm, loyal, trainable, smart, easily housebroken, tons of personality, protective, scares the heck out of the UPS man, enjoys working/purpose... Here's my suggestion.
23790_10pt_buck_2008.jpg

Edited to say: you can get them with or without Christmas antlers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just want a dog it would be nice to have one that could herd. The dog would go almost every where with me. I have had a bluetick coon hound before and she was awesome. That was before i had livestock however. I also hunt and would train the hound to coon hunt. If i chose the hound I will get 2. But since getting my own livestock i have wanted a herding dog. I have around 1000 set aside to buy dogs.

Its a really hard decision because all of these dogs have what I want in a dog so thats why I posted the question.

Quote:
Do you have experience with training a herding dog? Alot of it comes naturally to them, but they still need the training to understand how to use their instincts.

I do not county 4-h educator does and his daughter said she will help me train it if i get one. And since i am getting sheep and goats plus the cattle i just bought since it is just me herding on my horse i thought a herding dog or two would help. But a bluetick is a great dog my mom said 2 maybe 3 so i was thinking 2 herding dogs and a bluetick

Back
Top Bottom