Thinking about getting a rooster

npacynski

Hatching
9 Years
Apr 7, 2010
We have 14 laying hens right now: 2 Speckled Sussex, 2 Jersey Giants, 1 Black Australorp, 2 Buff Orpingtons, 2 Barred Rocks, 2 Silver Laced Wyandottes, and 3 Red Stars. Out of everyone except the Red Stars, which breed has more of a tendency to be less aggressive? I realize that there are aggressive roos in any breed, but we're looking for something with a reputation for calmness. Also, has anyone ever had a Sussex roo?

As for the "aggressive in any breed" comment, I think that isn't entirely true. I've known a couple breeds in which I've never met an aggressive bird, in many strains and in experience to a lot of birds.
smile.png

Out of the list you have, your best bet are Orpingtons or Jersey Giants.

From your list and what I have owned I can tell you my buff Orp is a really nice boy. He is going on 4 this year and was free ranged until a few months ago when I finally decided to breed him and his ladies. Everyone took to the confinement very well and Adonis is still a good boy.
I had Jersey Giant roos with my free range flock until they were put up for slaughter and they were nice boys, too. Just very large for my smaller breed hens. They didn't mean to be rough but they were just so big for the girls small backs.

I have had several SLW roos and every one was really nice. I have an older fella here now and he is wonderful. Stays in the 3' poultry wire fence during the day despite seeing all the free range hens walking past him. I just can't let him out with my other roos that free range because he wants to be the boss but he is terrific with me and helps find the duck eggs in the coop where he and they live together.

I have heard SS are great but I haven't ever owned one. I have not kept a BR long enough to know if he would get aggressive but others have told me they were. And some have said theirs was nice so others will have to chime in on that one. Not sure about Australorp roos either, I have only had hens and liked them.

Good luck on your quest! Roos add beauty and structure to a flock.

Back
Top Bottom