💙🖤💙🖤
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Jan 4, 2019
Maine
My Coop
My Coop
Hi friends!

I'm thinking about getting a couple of bantam hens. I have an extra run that connects to an existing that I could use. :) It has a little door that can open and close.
This is the run:
IMG_2280.jpeg

Here is the little "door" I'm talking about.
IMG_2281.jpeg

Then I have this dog crate that I could use for a coop (maybe?). What do you think? If I just modify it a little.....
IMG_2284.jpeg

Could you guys help me out?

@Lacy Duckwing
@Claires Poultry
(tagging)

The run looks very good! The bantams will love jumping up on those rocks, too. I do suggest adding high and low perches to the run. Bantams love perching and being high. (Not sure on Top Hat ones though, as they don't see as well.) In the coop, you also should also add high, and low perches.
I'll get measurements for you..... well, I don't have to use that crate. If there was a cheap/super easy way to build a coop for bantams I'd do that instead.
If you're looking for a different coop idea, try Pallets! People throw out pallets all the time and they work great for doing coops and stuff. What I wintered my bantams in for years was made completely out of recycled wood, that's including pallets and shipping containers. :D
(Now it's being used as a Sugar Shack...) Actually speaking, that has been recycled a lot! First, it was pallets and shipping containers. Second, the pallets was used as goose fence and the shipping containers was used as chicken coops. Third, the pallets was used to build a barn to store hay. Fourth, the now know as the Hay Barn is used to winter my bantams (Church Birds one winter too) and during spring/summer for a coop for Cornish Xes. Fifth, it's being used as a Sugar Shack on one side and a wood shed on another. Now, there's talk about using for a coop again maybe this fall for the Cornish Xes again! Talk about recycling! The whole thing has been recycled! (Well, maybe not the roof... The new roof on it {original was a tarp, and the old frame was metal poles that originally was used to grow green beans}, is rubber roofing.... That might of been used as a tarp before... :rolleyes:)

~Lacy Duckwing

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom