Thinking about getting ducks but have questions. Any answers?

I started with chickens last fall and added some ducks and new chickens this past spring. Ducks are VERY MESSY.....water, mud, poop, food mess. But, they are a trip to watch. I have Pekins, Mallards and Campbells. They are noisy, but I have heard that Muscovy's are quiet. I hand raised mine, but they aren't too friendly. They will come when I have treats and I can catch them in the coop (if I chase them). My chickens and ducks share a run, but have separate coops at night.

Quote:
1 i really cannot help with, i know people do so they should be the ones to comment.

2 this is sorta all in how you define it, our hens will let you pet them and they all love to follow you.. there nosey little buggers lol
lol.png
but if your comparing to a cat or a dog well no.. there not 'friendly' like that.. perhaps the odd one but i don't think that is the norm, after all they are prey animals at heart
wink.png
all mine have been raised from a few days old and a couple weeks.

3 I'm keeping muscovy and i'm in Canada, proper shelter is key.

4 muscovy are quiet, the hens only make noise but even then.. i'd say my horses are louder
tongue.png
(drakes only hiss) i find there friendly enough for me.. but i am not after a duck to be 'in my pocket' i have horses, cats and dogs plus rabbits that can fill that.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom