Thinking About Getting Ducks, Looking For Advice Please!

Hey everyone! I'm new to ducks and chickens, I've never owned either before. However, I'm interested in getting a few Indian Runner Ducklings.

I haven't found anyone local with runners so I will most likely have to have them shipped to me. So I'd like to know:

1. Have you ever had ducklings shipped to you? If so, from where?

Me and my grandma were thinking about ordering some together since we both want some as pets. BUT we don't want too many so we will probably settle on about four (two for her, two for me).

2. Is it worth it to ship just four ducklings?

3. To be sure the ducklings survive, should I order more and then try and find homes for the extras?

Ok, now that I've got that out of the way, I'm still trying to learn everything I can about caring for ducks and specifics about the breed...

4. In your opinion, do Runners make good pets?

5. What are some common health issues I should look out for?

That's all the questions I can think of for now, but I'll add more if I think of some. Thank you to anyone that can provide answers for me!

Runners make amazing pets! I have one inside one (I know frowned upon) but I found her in my back yard. She runs around my house absolutely like a puppy. If she sees my dog gets so excited so runs full speed to her, and if someone comes to the door she gets so excited (like a dog) she runs to greet whoever it is. Honestly such a cool pet. Plus my runner has been laying an egg a day and my boyfriend grandmother is absolutely loving having fresh duck eggs again.

@QuackSpeak - I'm praying you can change your date too! Although I think the next date is April 18th? That's not too bad if you can't get it changed, I'll wait with you lol. What did you order? And yes, I ordered from Metzer's c: I'm really happy about it, my grandma thinks I'm nuts because all I've been doing is reading, reading, and more reading about ducks LOL! But you can never be too prepared!

@MotherToMoose - What is frowned upon? Indoor ducks or the fact there's only one? Originally I was gonna try to have my ducks in my house with me...that was when I was gonna get two, but now I have four coming! :b I see now why people say they're addicting, I ended up with 2x as many as I originally planned.

I don't think indoor ducks are such a bad idea, I mean, as long as you keep 'em clean, buy diapers, give them time outside/in water, and have a safe place for them to go (at night, when you're not watching them, etc.). And I imagine it's wonderful not worrying about predators swooping in and stealing your ducks! I know I'm gonna have such a hard time when they're older and I gotta worry about that!

@QuackSpeak - I'm praying you can change your date too! Although I think the next date is April 18th? That's not too bad if you can't get it changed, I'll wait with you lol. What did you order? And yes, I ordered from Metzer's c: I'm really happy about it, my grandma thinks I'm nuts because all I've been doing is reading, reading, and more reading about ducks LOL! But you can never be too prepared!

@MotherToMoose - What is frowned upon? Indoor ducks or the fact there's only one? Originally I was gonna try to have my ducks in my house with me...that was when I was gonna get two, but now I have four coming! :b I see now why people say they're addicting, I ended up with 2x as many as I originally planned.

I don't think indoor ducks are such a bad idea, I mean, as long as you keep 'em clean, buy diapers, give them time outside/in water, and have a safe place for them to go (at night, when you're not watching them, etc.). And I imagine it's wonderful not worrying about predators swooping in and stealing your ducks! I know I'm gonna have such a hard time when they're older and I gotta worry about that!

Only having one is frowned upon lol if I could I would buy some but since she stays inside the one I found is enough. I have a diaper on her so it gets changed like every 2 hours or so. It is fun having her inside just difficult with what she's pecking at. I plan to build her a little runner here soon though and plant some veggies for her to eat.

@MotherToMoose , in my book, that's only frowned upon if the duck is being mistreated. Yours is not, so all is fine!
big_smile.png
You are a very attentive duck mother

@WalkerNom , not sure about the dates. According to the website, the breeds I ordered are all available on the 3 - however, I have come to learn that their website is not always correct. I am getting a Welsh Harlequin, Cayuga, and a Blue Swedish, all girls. So excited!

@MotherToMoose - Then you take good care of her! So good of you to look after a duck in need :)

@QuackSpeak - Ah, Welsh Harlequins were another breed of duck I was considering, but ultimately we liked the runners :)

@MotherToMoose
, in my book, that's only frowned upon if the duck is being mistreated. Yours is not, so all is fine! :D You are a very attentive duck mother

@WalkerNom
, not sure about the dates. According to the website, the breeds I ordered are all available on the 3 - however, I have come to learn that their website is not always correct. I am getting a Welsh Harlequin, Cayuga, and a Blue Swedish, all girls. So excited! 

I actually think their dates are quite accurate but change very frequently. But makes sense considering how many people order from them.
So if you look this morn and then look again this afternoon dates could change.
Plus people order, and then cancel, or change their order and so some may pop up available again .
So Their availability calendar is changing all the time.

As for telling them apart, we were going to get some poultry bands. Like these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B018...X236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=poultry+bands

Grandma wants the charms lol. I told her I was worried pecking would be an issue because of the shiny charms so if it does, I can just remove them. I plan to pay close attention to making sure they don't rub/get too small either.

Yes check them very regularly. Also they can get hooked on things .
I think you will be suprised how easy it is to tell them apart. You only got two of each color so that helps. There is always something diff about one. The fawn and white will have a diff pattern, so they will be easy. One chocolate is a boy so that will be easy with his curled tail feather. The blues will be easy, as they usually have a little speckle or two of darker colors. And never in the same spots. And their feet may have some yellow on them. Mine are very easy.
The blacks i thought would be hard, but so far its still easy.
Especially when you observe often. One will be bigger or smaller, one may have a little yellow on its chest or neck.

Back
Top Bottom