Thinking about getting ducks this Spring...

PoultryGirl

Chirping
9 Years
Dec 24, 2010
Should I get ducklings or hatching eggs? I would like to have them bond with me, but I worry a little if the eggs would hatch or not. Another question is, what breed should I get? I'd like a breed that isn't too loud, doesn't fly much, and doesn't take up too much space.
Sorry for all the questions and thanks in advance.
smile.png

Oh I dont know about a breed that isnt loud...all mine are LOUD....VERY LOUD
lau.gif
.........only when I shout across the yard at them and they all answer me at once. They are worse than kids in the play ground. I have Runners that I got as babies from Metzers along with a Jumbo Pekin. Runners are funny little things, always in a rush in everything they do, they laugh at me when they hear me coming, they love to swim, dig mud holes, eat lots of peas and escape thru the fence...but they dont fly. I have Pekins that are fat, healthy and sassy and let you know they are there too, along with the Sweish x Pekin mix girls, who are very quiet compared to everything else.
What ever you decide to get, you will have hours and hours of fun sitting watching them and laughing at all the goofy things they do.

You can have a good broody hen hatch them! I gave four duck eggs to a Buff Orp hen and three of them hatched! (it was her first time and she broke one of the eggs on day six) Sorry I can't help you with your other questions, I don't know much about ducks. I was just hatching these for a friend!
wink.png

Here's a pic from before the third one hatched!
smile.png

48412_liesls_pics_524.jpg

It's hard to find a breed that both is quiet and doesn't fly that much. Muscovies are quiet, but they fly very well. Runners, rouens and pekins can't fly well, but all can be very loud. I think it depends on what you're most able to compromise. You can always keep they flying ones in a covered pen or have their wings clipped.

If you don't plan to breed, maybe the best choice is to get all drakes and a breed like a runner, rouen or pekin.

I can't help you with deciding about eggs or ducklings. For me, I would get ducklings because I have seen all the problems people have had here hatching eggs.

I think that Welsh Harlequins would fit that the best. They aren't as loud as other breeds, they don't fly much, and they're good broodies.

I love my Welsh Harlequins.. You can order duckling from Holderreads if you need 10 or more.. Metzers you can order as few as 2.. or you can get hatching eggs from several members on here.

Back
Top Bottom