Thinking about making a hoop run...have a few questions

Buckaroohens

In the Brooder
6 Years
Dec 25, 2013
Chester County, PA
Hi.
After looking at all sorts of runs on here, I think I may be leaning towards making a hoop run. I initially was going to do a run with 2x4's, wire, and hardware cloth, but I think it might be easier to make a hoop run. My questions are: If you make a hoop run, what is the width of the run if you use a 4x16 cattle panel? I've looked at a bunch of photos and I'm trying to figure out how far apart you would put metal stakes that are supporting the cattle panels. Can you just attach the panels to metal stakes in the ground or do they need to be attached to a 2x4 frame of some kind along the ground? Are cattle panels difficult to bend to form the hoop? Also, how do you attach a hoop run to a coop? Finally, what would the height be of the coop at its tallest point (the middle)? Thanks so much!
yippiechickie.gif

I made tractors using cattle panels. They are 8 feet wide. Stapled the panels to a 2"x6" then flipped it over so when it's arched up the panels are on the inside. The peak is about 6' tall.
If I were making a run out of them I would drive some rebar stakes in the ground where I wanted the edge of the run. Staple 2 panels to a 10' 2"x6" and join the long edge of the panels with zip ties. Then flip the panels and boards end over end so one end is against the stakes. Then start moving the other board in toward the stakes. Have a helper crawl inside and push up in the center.
You'll need a frame on the ends to keep it stable. 2"x2"s will work for that.
Really, you're build a hoop tractor with no wheels and no tarp.

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk

You can flex them to be as wide as you want, and as tall as you want. I believe ours were 14 or 16 feet long. We bent them to a pen 6 feet wide and it's plenty tall enough for me to walk inside (I'm 5 foot 4 ish), but my 6 foot honey has to duck.

We didn't use wood to frame, just pounded T-posts and used a crapton of zip ties. they're not hard to bend at all. We put a T-post at each 4 or 5 foot interval (not sure how tall the panels were) and used that to brace the panels.

Look for Blooie's pictures of her hoop run, she has some of the best pics I've seen and a great way with words to explain what they did. One of the prettier runs, too, if that matters to you.

My hoop pens are freestanding, so no coop attached. Can't help you there, sorry. I'm not sure right off how Blooie attached hers.....

I don’t have hoop coops or runs, but when you build it you need to frame in the ends somehow. You will have two flat frames, probably some combination of wire and wood. Just frame into that like you would any flat run wall.

How do you plan to frame in the ends of that so the chickens don't walk out of the ends of the hoop run?

Last edited:
I got your PM, @Buckaroohens and I'll be happy to help if I can. First, there are photos and explanations on my Coop Page, and the link can be found under my avatar. It will take a little time to answer your questions completely, and I have a little one that I have to feed and get ready for her physical therapy. So if it's okay I'll leave you with a couple of photos and give you time to look at My Coop page, then sit down at the computer when I can focus a little better. RR, we didn't use any framing on the end panel at all - just another cattle panel cut to size to close it in. We knew we'd be enlarging it and wanted to make that as easy as possible. The only frame is around the people door.

By the way, thanks everyone for the confidence and kind words.

Edited: Forgot the pictures!

Last edited:
Some of the hoop runs I've seen on here do not have framing on both ends, just where the people door is located. I was hoping to have the people door located on the one end and somehow attach the other end of the hoop run to the coop. However, I don't know if that is possible because how would you ensure it was truely predator-proof? I'm envisioning piecing together a lot of hardware cloth to fill gaps or something and that just makes me nervous.

Blooie made a chicken tunnel leading from her coop into the run, which is an option. I messaged her to find out how she did that exactly. I also asked her how she capped off the one end of the hoop.

Thanks for your help.

cut the panels to match the arc of the hoop run and wire to it, with a tpost or two. this is if it's free standing.

or if you coop is wood, the start your first hoop, with the edge of the panel touching the coop, and steeple to the coop.

eta: and Blooie is da man on hoop runs......

well actually she be da WO-man on hoop runs.

Last edited:
I'm so grateful for everyone's suggestions. I guess it's hard for me too because I'm just envisioning this in my head or on paper right now, not in real life. I don't have the coop yet and obviously, not the run yet. I'm just trying to prepare myself for the job ahead and gather any materials, tools, etc. I might need. I don't know anyone with a lot of building experience, so you guys are lifesavers for me. Thanks!
yesss.gif

Back
Top Bottom