Thinking about Mascovy ducks.

Mr MKK FARMS

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
7 Years
Sep 27, 2012
I am think about Mascovy ducks. Is there anything I should know about the breed of duck? Any issues I should know about?

Thanks,
smile.png

I disagree My Muscovy's are very hardy ands I don't think they have a weak immune system. I have a friend on here that has Muscovy's in Canada and she doesn't have any health problems with them. as for claws yep they are tree dwellers so they do have claws but I've never been injured by any of my Muscovy's scratched when I was picking them up but they are not aggressive and don't use their claws to injure anyone.

I disagree My Muscovy's are very hardy ands I don't think they have a weak immune system. I have a friend on here that has Muscovy's in Canada and she doesn't have any health problems with them. as for claws yep they are tree dwellers so they do have claws but I've never been injured by any of my Muscovy's scratched when I was picking them up but they are not aggressive and don't use their claws to injure anyone.
So the males don't use their claws either?

So the males don't use their claws either?
I have never been hurt by any of my Muscovy drakes, I handle them from the time they hatch and they are not aggressive at all. even my drake that came from the river was never anything but a gentleman to me. now they will use their claws when fighting but mostly even that is more of a wrestling match. If you get scratched it mainly because of an accident. Now if you get an adult drake who hasn't had much human contact say feral he might feel the need to defend himself but I still don't think he's use his claws. Honestly they are really nice ducks, hardy, personable, wonderful broody's and mothers and they wag their tail when happy.

I have never been hurt by any of my Muscovy drakes, I handle them from the time they hatch and they are not aggressive at all. even my drake that came from the river was never anything but a gentleman to me. now they will use their claws when fighting but mostly even that is more of a wrestling match. If you get scratched it mainly because of an accident. Now if you get an adult drake who hasn't had much human contact say feral he might feel the need to defend himself but I still don't think he's use his claws. Honestly they are really nice ducks, hardy, personable, wonderful broody's and mothers and they wag their tail when happy.
So would you suggest getting a Drake for my first time? I kind of want to breed...
smile.png

I have two drakes and two females, one is older. I love them to death, Oh wait I now have 11 ducklings :) I have never had any issues with them. The oldest one I believe is 9 now, when I got her she was 8 the lady said. Yes sharp claws, more so when babys but I have never been hurt on purpose by them. I have one drake that does get rough with my son but that is due to he is rough with him. :)

I have two drakes and two females, one is older. I love them to death, Oh wait I now have 11 ducklings :) I have never had any issues with them. The oldest one I believe is 9 now, when I got her she was 8 the lady said. Yes sharp claws, more so when babys but I have never been hurt on purpose by them. I have one drake that does get rough with my son but that is due to he is rough with him. :)
So do you think I should get a drake for breeding purposes?

If you want to breed yes, I got my ducks when they where 3 months old and loved on them a ton. I still love on them and I so love my new ducklings :)

Back
Top Bottom