Thinking About Selling Hatching Eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chicken Dave, Sep 20, 2009.

1. Chicken Dave

Chicken Dave Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2008
    Tyngsborough, MA
    Since this is the incubating and hatching eggs section i thought i would put this post here. I am thinking about starting to sell hatchin eggs and i was wondering what breeds would sell best and I would get a good amount of money for. Any ideas?

Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
  2. CindyS

CindyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Geneseo, Illinois
    Outstanding show quality stock of any breed., call ducks, turkeys(any color), guineas(any color except pearl)sebastopol geese. Eggs that do not sell well, hatchery stock barred rocks, EE, buff orp, mixed standard ducks.

3. Pokes79

Pokes79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    I have been looking at buying Marans eggs especially Black Copper Marans and the ones from good bloodlines are fairly expensive and seem to sell very well on ebay. I have seen them sell for $100+ per dozen.

4. Cherlyn

Cherlyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    Alconbury, England
    Seramas sell well. [​IMG]

~Cherlyn

5. Pokes79

Pokes79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
  6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:I think that BC Marans fad/craze will soon have run it's course. If you're looking to make lots of money, it probably isn't going to happen. You need to have whatever breed you end up choosing be one you enjoy and like having.

7. Cherlyn

Cherlyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    Alconbury, England
    Holy vaca! You can get these marans over here in the UK for a fraction of that cost - wonder why the price is so different? Then again, same for sussex - they are originally from here, and extremely common, so they are cheap. Hm.

~Cherlyn

8. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Pokes79 you have a pm.

Thanks and have a blessed day!

9. Pathfinders

Pathfinders Overrun With Chickens

Jan 25, 2008
    Northern KY
    Please don't take this the wrong way, but I think you're putting the cart before the horse. Before you can be successful at selling hatching eggs, you must have a market. To create the market you must have had good birds of a given breed for some time. Ideally, you show your birds, and do well at shows, so that people know your birds are worth buying eggs from.

As to what breed, well, you need to get a breed that you really like. One you personally are happy with. One you want to work with, and show. Then once you've built up your reputation as someone who knows what they have and does a good job breeding it, then you might think about selling hatching eggs.

And fwiw, I don't think anyone gets rich selling hatching eggs...

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Pick a breed, not necessarily a fad breed, then build the best quality flock you can. For instance, Barred Rocks may be common, however, really great quality ones are definitely not.

I am raising heritage Delawares. These are not the hatchery stock types, but the ones that almost died out in this country when the CornishX became the meat bird of choice. They are a challenging breed to breed to the Standard of Perfection due to the rarity of really great stock. So, an endangered breed may be the way to go if you want to command a decent price for hatching eggs and/or chicks.

That said, I agree that you will not likely get rich selling hatching eggs of any type. And to ship them into other states, you are supposed to be NPIP certified and/or have a vet's certificate and for some states, a special permit to ship into their state.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by