Thinking about starting a 'chicken rescue'.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics

cluckmecoop7

💙🖤💙🖤
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Jan 4, 2019
Maine
My Coop
My Coop
Added by @casportpony for @cluckmecoop7:
There is a large misunderstanding about what I meant, so I have requested we close this thread to prevent further arguing and accusations. - cluckmecoop7

Hello all, & @Lacy Duckwing (tagging you).

This is my current setup.
IMG_0091.jpg

In all I have 13 chickens. First flock is about 3 years old, second flock is approximately 1 and a half yrs old, and the third flock consists of bantams which I got this summer. So, the church I go to is held at a farm house with lots of animals, including a bunch of nice chickens that are free ranged and everyone is protected by two large Great Pyrenees. :) I have already been thinking about selling my birds and getting new ones....but now I have an awesome idea. If I could give my chickens to a place where they'd be cared for and loved...(like the farm, they're really great- and I'd get to see them every Sunday!). I'd like to rescue a bunch of the hens off of craigslist...the ones that people are trying to get rid of in the fall. What do you think? I don't know if there's anything else to say unless I get some questions.
Thanks in advance!

NOTE: By "rescue" I don't mean battery hens and sick hens. I mean some egg layers that people I trying to get rid of before winter... so they can start a new flock in the spring.

Please read post #36 BEFORE replying or reacting to ANY of the posts in THIS thread. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
A rescue would need a huge facility with multiple buildings so that different subflocks could be separated, quarantine facilities, storage and sanitation capabilities for a large variety of equipment, and space/facilities to deal with health problems.

It may be worth doing for you.

You may have the ability to do it.

But you would need a LOT of investment in infrastructure before you began. :)

I mean it sounds like a good idea, but you’d need a way bigger set up then that. And a separate place for quarantine. You’d need a lot of food. And a lot of medical supplies since rescue chickens normally need medical attention for minor things like Bumblefoot. Also just so you know, Craigslist hens are normally just used layers. They aren’t all “rescue chickens” Also have you gotten permission from your church to even take your chickens?
That’s just my opinion. If you want to do it go for it!

Well, maybe "rescue" was the wrong word. I don't mean taking in all the battery hens and sick hens.... I mean just taking a couple of the egg laying hens on craigslist that people are trying to give away before winter. And all my other chickens would be gone so I'm not risking their health. Sorry if this isn't clear?

Theoretically it's an awesome idea.

Realistically, it would be a huge hassle if at all possible to do it right. Biosecurity alone would be insane. The space and precautions would be very hard to control. Especially considering Marek's is carried on the wind in dander. You'd need a LOT of space between pens, multiple quarantine areas, you'd need to spray every quarantine area between groups of birds with something like Vikron S. You'd need to change clothes and shoes between areas. Marek's also doesn't exactly make itself known immediately either. You could quarantine for 6 weeks and see zero symptoms. Then move those birds to permanent housing and infect everyone. So many uncontrollable variables.

Well, maybe "rescue" was the wrong word. I don't mean taking in all the battery hens and sick hens.... I mean just taking a couple of the egg laying hens on craigslist that people are trying to give away before winter. And all my other chickens would be gone so I'm not risking their health. Sorry if this isn't clear?
I don't think it was quite clear. You may want to edit your original post so people understand what you're trying to do. 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom