1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Thinking of adding a goose to a chicken flock? What do you think?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by peepkeeper, Mar 6, 2008.

1. peepkeeper

peepkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2007
    upstate New York
    Someone advised me to get a goose for my small chicken flock. She said what great protectors and watchdogs they are and that if I have a goose my chickens will never be bothered by critters.

Tempting. Can a goose live with chickens? Do they have different housing/dietary needs? And if so, what sort of goose? What do you all think about this?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2008
  2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I do not raise fowl of different breeds together. I don't advise it for several reasons. One being the disease possibilities. The other being they each have different needs, especially water fowl, which are very messy. I keep each in different areas.

3. Moonwalker

Moonwalker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2008
    Washburn, MO
    I agree about keeping chickens and waterfowl penned together, but what about Guineas? Aren't they really good at chasing rats and such? I KNOW they make great watchdogs and burgalr alarms!

4. lacyloo

lacyloo Cooped Up

May 26, 2007
    north florida
    I had a tolose geese, they were very kind and would stand at my door and tap it with there beak's , looking for a snack.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by